1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big Decision?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GillamLawn, Mar 12, 2004.

1. GillamLawn

GillamLawn LawnSite Member

My town is having their yearly home and garden show at our mall, and i was thinking about setting up a booth there to help advertise my new company, because as of right now i have one contract set up for the season. they want $430.00 which includes the booth space, and a few radio commercials, would it be a wise decision to do it, or should i just keep passing out fliers and sending letters? thank you

Brett Gillam
    Spectacle Lawn Care.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure, if you have been to it in years past do they have a large crowd???, If so it may be a good time to meet people and pass out fiers and the radio commercials may help also. Here in Va. things are greening up and people are starting to think about lawn care very seriuos now. At your booth could you possibly have a mower there or some of your equipment???
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would do it if I was you. It's a learning lesson. Trial and error. If it works and you bag numerous customers, then you are set for the year. While if it backfires you know not to do it again, but you still got your name out there.

My only suggestion is to have a clean and professional image while there. First impressions are a killer
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I would do it because people could put a company name together with a face and you would have exposure to a lot of people.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, couldn't agree more jajwrigh
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess it all depends upon if you think $430.00 is a lot of money.
    And do you think you can spend $430.00 on a different form of advertising which may yield better results?

Roughly how many people do you think will attend this event?
    And will some/all of the vendors there be passing out free stuff?
    Sometimes when these home/garden shows pass out free stuff, people only come to get the free stuff and to register in the many drawings that are offered.
    Bottom line. Do you think you will be reaching the market you want to reach at this show?

Name recogntion is great. But you want to come out of there signing on a couple of customers.
    If it were for our business, no I wouldn't spend the $430.00 to attend. We prefer to target specific neighborhoods instead.