Big Deere problems!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboyblake, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I have an HD45 36" walk behind that I bought this spring. It had 930 hours on it and I've put about 50 on it this year so far. I use it on about 9 yards a week. This week, the right side hydro motor just stopped completely. So I pulled it off and now trying to get parts. Johnny rip off deere will only sell you the whole unit for replacement, at the tune of $930!!!!!!!!! I only paid $1200 for the whole mower!!!!!! Now, does anyone know where to get this reparied at or where to buy a used motor for it? I know somebody out there has to have one. Thanks a lot guys

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

have you checked they have a link here. it's where i would start anyway.
  3. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

:cry: All they have for deere's is blades
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

you sure?
    also, check j thomas as well as any small engine repair shops in you area.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Check by the name stamped on the hydro motor, not John Deere just because it's on a Deere mower. Go by the manyfacturer of the hydro when looking for a replacement elsewhere.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

First off find a new dealer cause he can get parts for that wheel motor.

Second J-Thomas does carry wheel motors that fit JD walkbehinds and JD doesn't make the wheel motors themselves. Get the manufacturer name, model, and/or serial number off the wheel motor before you call. BTW J-Thomas usually can get those parts to you tommorow if you call today.
  7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Thats why I will never own another Deere. You have to get their parts directly from them as they have about everything made just off normal spec.

Kawasaki motors that are made for John Deere have the shafts a slightly different size. Need a replacement? You have to get it from them at their grossly over-inflated price.

Idler pulleys, spindles, all of this you have to get from John Deere as they use off-standard sizes for most parts.

I would be willing to bet that those hydro motors are made just off-spec so that you are going to have to get it from Deere in the end.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

If your Deere breaks down right next to a mower shop, chances are they don't have a part to fit your deere.

I now use Exmark, snapper, and Echo.

I am interested to see if this motor is indeed made to their specs. Please keep us posted.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok here we go lets start the "this is why i don't buy Deere BS".

If thats the case then why can i get parts through J-Thomas?
  9. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

You are right, there are only a couple of replacement parts for the wheel motor (transmission in Deere lingo...) things like seals, keyways, etc. The list price for the transmission is quite high. I've seen it for around $700.....Mike
  10. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Running the old hustler 251's i have rebuilt the wheel motors and the hydro pumps at one time or another. Took the build tag off to my local hydro parts warehouse and got fixed right up. They were White units i think. gotta be careful putting the motors back to gether though cuz if you get one of the rings off or backwards it will cause the motor to spin the opposite direction when the hoses are plumbed correctly.

hmm...both laterals forward yet im doing donuts???