1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big Dilema ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MattBinford, Mar 3, 2002.

1. MattBinford

MattBinford LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I am trying to decide between the Hustler Super z with 25hp or the Exmark Laser z with 27hp liquid cooled. I have not demoed either but will in the coming weeks. Here are the Pros and Cons so far.

Hustler Z: 25hp
    Pros: Built like a tank. Good grass collection unit.
    Cons: Air cooled. I would have to dump into a tarp then load onto my truck. 2 step process.

Exmark Z 27hp. Liquid cooled
    Pros: More Horse power. Able to dump individual bags into truck.
    Cons: Not built and robust as the Hustler.

Like I said I have not demoed either but assume both will perform well. I am leaning towards the Exmark because of the bagging and horsepower advantage.

Sharing your experience with either of these pieces of equipment would be much appreciated. By the way the price is the same for either in our neck of the woods.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 25hp kohler 60 inch lazer and love it. stripes great, and so far havent had one problem. im planning on getting an ultravac soon for it, and ive heard nothing but good things about it. although, i also have heard nothing but good comments about the super z. hopefully the demos will make up your mind.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dont know much about the Hustlers. Sat on and looked at a Landpride (by Hustler). They do seem very "built" and "robust". They have a few nice features, and seem very customer oriented.

However, I have to disagree about your Cons of the Lazer as NOT being "built" and "robust". Believe me, they ARE! They've been around for quite a few years. The earliest models are a bit skimpy looking (early 90's) but they are about the best built/engineered/robust mower out there. I have never heard of a commercial mowers frame failing, so maybe the "robust" looks of the Hustler are just that....for looks.

If I had a Hustler dealer nearby, I may have entertained their mowers for my last purchase, but I wanted a LC engine, and very few offer this on a ZTR.

Good Luck!
  4. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I test drove the hustler z, super z ,grasshopper, walker, JD 1600, JD 455, and 2 lazers. One lazer 60in w/23 lc and the other was a 72in diesel. Sold the 2 Dixie xw2500s weve been using. Setteled on the lazers. Bought 2 27hp lcs 72 in. One with an ultra vac, and the other with the mulching system on it. Took delivery on them on 2-27-02.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i also would have to say that the lazer is really heavy enough to last an hold up well.
    mine is tough and i sometimes ask it to be..
    i would be interested in your report after demo . let us know how they compare in handeling dept.later now
  6. Tough ? that you can only answer. I have used exmark as a loaner. Great machine one of the best. Hustler I drove one down in florida this winter its quite of bit different than a exmark. But in a good way. Either way you cant go wrong . Have fun testing:)
  7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the main thing i liked about the hustler when i demoed it was that the parking brake was built into the handles so you only had to deal with one lever
  8. MattBinford

from Idaho

Thanks for your responses. I forgot to mention this will be my first riding lawn mower. I have have been in business for 5 years and have only had wide area walk behinds (Toro's). We just landed a large commercial account. >8 acres and can finally justify a rider to the wife. I've tried before with no luck.

Just a follow up question for you hustler fans. Do you find it difficult to dump into a tarp and then load into your truck or is it not a problem? I'm just curious as I have never had to in the past.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

9. Air cooled is not a con!!! Plaese do a little research before you make judgements.

Dump from the seat is the best way.

Exmark not robust come on, for a mower that has had very little changes in the past 13 years, do you think that is robust or built?
    I have it was not an Exmark, 3 of them same spot, but I can't say which brand due to LS posting guide lines.
  10. MattBinford

from Idaho

Thanks for the response. However, you seem to not quite get the question correct. I am trying to compare not rip on any manufacture. You are aruguing both sides. Just like me. I like both, but what will be best for me. I would assume Liquid ahead of air and I would assume 27hp is better than 25. That is just the initial thought (Same price, both with collection systems). Just looking for good debate. Only then has this post be worth while.