1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big dilema

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bull, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Working solo has its pros and cons but right now I have over extended myself by taking on some landscaping jobs in addition to my mowing accounts. Now with the time approaching to start plugging and reseding I am not sure how to get caught up. I have tried bringing in some help but with the training time and the dropout rate it does not seem to be helping. Have any of you been in this situation and how do I recover without giving up any of the jobs?
  2. Bertram182

Bertram182 LawnSite Member

Sub it out.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire skilled and experienced help.
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I have been there forget your personal life and work as many hours as needed till you find some help that works out. This may we were doing 8 am till 9 pm 7 days a week for about 6 streight weeks I can't say I enjoyed it but its what I had to do to catch up.
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Training time and dropout rate. You have defined quite well the reason most of us solo guys remain solo. My only suggestion would be that possibly you need to increase the starting pay a little to see if it gets you a more experenced type of help.

Also, try this: Offer a starting rate of say, $8 an hour, with a "sign-up bonus" of say, $400. The sign-up bonus will NOT be paid until worker has completed 5 weeks of successful employment. Effectively, the starting rate thus becomes $10 an hour--assuming 5 weeks of 40 hrs.--but you don't have to give $10 an hour to the loser who drops out in the first 4 weeks. At the same time sign-up bonus is paid to the worker who has lasted 5 weeks, he gets a raise to say $11 an hour. Fill in the wage numbers to suit the wage market in your area.

Hope this idea gives you a little help.
  6. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Great replies so far and I would agree that you need to do 2 things for sure:
    1. Bite the bullett and bring in some new help. The training time will be worth it when you find the right person.
    2. Sub out what you can't get to. This may be a good time to build a relationship with a good contractor.
    3. Git-R-Done! Remember, there will be slow times ahead where you wish you had this problem.

Good luck!
  7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I really like the signing bonus idea. I might give this a try myself.