1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Big" does not always mean "good"...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dennis E., Aug 16, 2002.

1. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Going into Brandon today(near Tampa) and saw a TrueGreen maintenance crew doing a small Citgo. Four or five hispanics total I think.Looked like a "Keystone Cops" movie. (You older members will know what I mean:D )
    These boys were moving at a very quick pace and the work looked AWFUL. (I know this location as I lived in this area for around 7 years.) One or two guys could do this job easy.Lot of overkill and confusion IMO.
    Can't imagine the location manager was real happy with the work either.
    Is this the way to run a "big" lawn biz? LOL!
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im glad you posted, because I saw the same thing the other day. There was a small commercial account and I saw 6 guys working the job. This is about a 3/4 acre property.
    The guys pull in with two vehicles, jump out, 1 on a ztr, 2 with a WB's, and 3 trimming. Once the trimming and mowing was done, about 8 mins....2 guys were loading the equipment and 4 were running backpack blowers. Then they jumped in the trucks and speed off. Uncut Grass on every corner.

I guess they believe in quantity and not quality! They must lowball in order to keep these accounts based on the mess they left behind.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its kinda like the "big leagues". In the majors its all about the huge salaries and not the game anymore. Go to any other league (little league to AAA) and its still about the game and being good enough to one day walk into the majors. If you want to see real baseball you watch the lower levels, if you want fame and money and a strike, watch MLB.
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent point hoss!
    How will TGCL ever get the "big numbers" if this is how they operate. It may not be like this nationwide but if what I saw is the norm the maintenance division will be in trouble.
    Really shoddy work.Can't knock the workers as I'm sure they are following procedure but still....:rolleyes:
    I was not impressed.
    Also another point. The equipment looked awful. Not a major point but I thought TGCL was big on impression. Looked like most of the stuff they were using had seen better days. Including the ZTR and WB they were running. Trailer was literally falling apart. Open 14 or 16. Really in tough shape.
    Bottom line I guess.:confused:
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

They have no lack of nice equipment here. All landscape trucks have 4 eXmark w/b's on them. The actually do 'ok' work in my area. TGCL is always about volume. If they lose a customer, oh well, they will market and find 10 to replace it. That has been most of the success they have had.
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

TGCL don't care if they make money either. I've talked to a couple of their crews and seen there schedules. They make money overall, but being the big dog is important to them too. One account they have, David Minor's house, is done supervisors. It's definately one property that is well maintained. As for others they do, so-so work. Just my thoughts. By the way, for those of you who don't know who David Minor is, do a little research. Twenty years in the business and ca ching.
  7. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Kinda of the same note, I was following a American Beauty Chem Truck today, he was pulling a trailer with some mowing equipment on it, I thought "Just stay w/ your Chemical apps" next thing he does is pull into one of my accounts parking lot, I thought maybe had just missed his turn, nope hes rolling thru my account. This pissed me off, so I pulled into the next entry pulled over to watch Mr. Chem applicator (it's a 5 acre account)he is looking at everything, so I'm smokin hot by now, couldnt take it anylonger, I flagged him down and asked if we had an appointment for him to bid for a chem app. He said what do you mean... well this is my account and was wondering what was up??? He said he was going to put a BID in for complete maintenance. I said oh really, did the plant manager set up an appointment with you to do this, no he said, we are expanding he said and was going to take over some accounts in the area. I said maybe he and I should go and talk to the PM and see what he wants to do. Well he decided he was on a very tight schedual and maybe some other time. I thanked him, and said maybe never, go back and tell your boss to stick with ripping off little old ladys with the chem apps. stay out of the mowing maintenace end , thank you very much... :blob2: sorry for the ramblin, just pissed me off......

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

gee my wife always said bigger is better:D
  9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i noticed that alot when i was around tampa / st. pete....there would be one truck, 2 mowers and 7 people to do the work.

and when they were going down the road, it reminded me of old mexico with 4 or 5 people hanging on in the back amongst all the equipment.....seemed very dangerous to me.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, don't think they will not get their act together. They will! Its a matter of time and they will be a mowing contender.

Based on what I'm seeing here, its a matter of time until they clean up the crews and jobs in other areas. The home office is here in Memphis, and I would bet they are liking what they see here in this area. They will incorporate it into the other areas.

We will be contending with them. Not only in comm'l but in residential. The way I see it is its good and bad. Bad because they go after everything. They may very well take customers from each of us. The good is, when the customer gets fed up, we the smaller companies get the calls back. But by then they are used to getting charged for services. There will no longer be the thought from these people we are the neighborhood kids working for $5 an hour.