Big dollar 21"er's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 8, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Is it really worth it to buy a 1k 21 push mower? When I first started I bought a Husq. 21 self propelled and its lasted until this season,(aprox 5yrs) and it still works but the gear box is noisy. I paid just under $500.00 for it, I used it a ton on small islands and smaller, hilly lawns. The company we bought out this season had 2 Snapper's and they seem to work ok but he didn't take too good of care with them (rusted and banged up). I was at our local Exmark dealer picking up salt and we started talking about this condo place we picked up and he showed me a Honda commercial mower, very nice mower but it was $1100.00. It was self propelled, dual blades, bagger etc, again a very nice mower but at a very nice price too. But I thought and told him I could buy 2 for the price of one of the Honda's, how much longer do they really last?

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

No one answer will fit your question. That Husky mower you bought wouldnt have lasted me 1 season. The 21" mowers were also our primary machines, anything bigger would not have fit in certain lots.

Will it last you longer than your Husky? yes Is it worth the extra money? only you can answer that. We all put our machines through different conditions and not one is alike.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well your right Saw Man, I guess I answered my own question lol. We used it for 5 years but only on a few places. But this year it (a 21") will be used for a few hours a day 3 days a week. Thanks.