Big engines, big fuel savings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I just go a card from SCAG with the average fuel usage of several models. What might surprise you is the larger machines with fuel injection are rated better than the smaller machines. Here is what they say:

Tiger Cub 25 hp 2.2 gal/hr fuel consumption
    WildCat 27 hp 2.2 gal/hr fuel consumption
    Turf Tiger 29/31hp 1.6 gal/hr fuel consumption

Since you are saving .6 gallons per hour that's like saving about $1.70 or so an hour. That would add up.

Just thought I would pass it along.:)

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i asked my dealer if the dfi got 1.6 and he said no way, he has asked all of the owners he sold to and they all said that its over 2. the dealer told me they tested the engine under no load with only the blades running and the mower sitting still. i dont know if its 100% true but that makes the second dealer that told me that.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have no evidence other than what Scag sent me on the two engines above but there are several reports of 28 efi Kohlers getting much better than that. I'm just kind of passing info along. I did get better that 1.6 with my 31 Briggs last year (checked it twice) but it was very dry.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Its seems right to me others have said the same thing..

5. P.Services

i am just passing info on to. while this thread is young i have a similar question... i will be buying a tt either a 29dfi or the 25 kubota. the kubota is only 1200 more and burns less then a gallon per hour. at this rate it pay for its self with the fuel savings. what do you guys think??

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How does the initial price compare on those engines? And is the repairs still a problem for most shops on efi.

7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Price depends on the engine, between carbeurated and diesel from what I've found. If they do get that good of gph and diesel prices stay higher, it makes sense to go with them over a diesel for fuel economy. I would imagine parts and repairs would be less than a diesel also. We mulled it over quite a bit before going with the DFI mainly because I can still do alot of the work on them, where with a diesel not so much.

8. P.Services

im starting to lean toward the dfi just because of the cheaper price but i really think the diesel would pay for its self fast.

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I've heard reports all across the board on both DFI and diesel as far as fuel economy. The 2 dealers we deal with said they are very similar and it depends on which engines you are comparing. They also said they both are definitely better than carbeurated. I too would like to hear some hard facts that are not heresay, or manufacturer marketing.

10. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Jaybird & Picasso, I have been in business a long time and have have been on Lawnsite for a number of years. This year I have been seeing DFI show up in a bunch of threads. I am not sure what it means. Is it Diesel Fuel Injection? I always thought diesels all had injectors. I was out of the country for Jan., Feb., And March. Did one of the engine mfg's come up with something new? I need to get a couple of new mowers and if it is a good option I will consider it. Thanks ( I now run 5 Exmarks with Kohler 28 hp electronic fuel injection engines)