big fert job

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Commonwealth LC, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Commonwealth LC

Commonwealth LC LawnSite Member

I have this guy who wants me to get his soil right for grass to grow. i did a soil test and got the recommendations back. the guy needs a couple of different apps and i need to know how to price this.. im going to sum up the recommendations incase this helps.

10 lbs of 16-25-12, and 6 lbs 0-0-22 in the first and second application. 3 lbs 21-0-0 in the third application. these applications 1.5 months apart.
    95 lbs of calcite or lime to raise ph. but only do this in 50 lb intervals 3 months apart. all recommendations are per 1000 sq/ft.

so thats a lot of going back and forth. how much would you charge per 1000 square feet? this guy has about 1 acre or maybe a little more

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Sounds Like You Went To The Ag Extension Office. They Have A Way Of Making Thinss Difficult. Do The Lime Apps The Same Time As You Do You Fertilizer Apps To Save Trips . Bill Each Service Seperately. I Would Try To Get At Least $175 An App . Maybe A Trip To Lesco Would Help In Planning A Program.

3. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

By The Way, Where Did You Get That Soil Test. Seems To Me That You Are About To Make It More Difficult Than It Truly Is.
    The Ag Extension Office Can Be A Good Resource, But Often The Go Crazy In The Recommendation( Overly Precise) Lots Of Times They Overeducate Homeowners To The Point That They Either Scare The Crap Out Of Them Or The Customer Feels Hopeless. Really You Are Looking To Modify The Soil Into A Range............not An Exact Chemical Makeup. To Try An Be Perfect Is Very Expensive And Time Consuming. All You Need To Do Is Get In The Ballpark An You Will See Major Results. Make Sure To Tell The Customer That There Is No Magic Pill, It Will Take Some Time And Effort.

4. Commonwealth LC

that that is true.. should i focus more on one thing than the other, like the ph? Bc his pH is really low.. i know that that is prob the most important thing.. i just finished my first semester of horticulture last semester so im just in the beginning of learning more about plants and what all they need to be healthy.. anyways, getting off tract. i got the lab work done at A & L Eastern labs, They are right down the street from me and they are very affordable. i dont have the money to get a nice soil tester right now.

5. Commonwealth LC

well, is there any one price per 1000 sq/ft that anyone uses for just fertilizing an existing lawn? my neightbor wants that done and i was thinking maybe $10/1000 but im still very new in ferting and stuff so i just want a more established opinion on this also.

and with the same question for seeding a new lawn. price per 1000 sq/ft anyone? thanks a lot, this site always helps and i try not to ask too much and find want i dont know without asking but yall are great and thanks.

6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Wow.....this could take all year :dizzy:

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Why not keep it simple?

You will supply basically the same nutrients doing 3 applications of 13-13-13 at 6.4 lbs / 1,000 sqft. Do the first lime application with your first fertilizer treatment, then combine lime and fertilizer again on the third visit.

8. TurfProSTL

And, that lime requirement, I assume is 95 lbs per thousand square feet, so you need about a ton per acre twice.

I would price it at $3-5 per thousand on the fertilizer and $8-10 per thousand for the lime. Those are per application prices.....

9. Nolan

Nolan LawnSite Member

My grass has been in the world for 1 month. And I'm getting invaded by weeds. Someone suggested to me to use weed be gone. I have two questions.

1st: Is it to early and or to hot to use weed be gone?

2nd: Second how long would I have to wait before I can over seed and starter Fertilize?

10. TurfProSTL

Generally, weed control products like WeedBGone can be applied to new grass once it has been mowed 2 or 3 times. In the heat of summer, I would rather error on the latter side.

Sounds like you're wisely planning on overseeding. Wait until September, and at least 3 weeks after a post-emergent herbicide application.....