Big fires and high winds

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Are any states sending help? I know montana sent a bunch to az when they had their fires.
    I'm in spokane, wa. Looks dry here right now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. I need to give my Texas friends a laugh.
    I just got a jalepeno burger with fries and the waitress asked me if i needed ranch dressing or tartar sauce for my fries.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

say it with me slowly and sound it out .... K e t c h u p .

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't think Texans ever wanted help from outside their state? :)

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It actually works pretty well on fries when they accompany fried seafood you also put tartar sauce on (and are drinking sharp-as-a-tack French white wine with it)

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

We help others, only fair to hope they'd do the same for us. We've lost over 40,000 acres in the last 3 days. The fire that started in Magnolia/Plantersville yesterday is about 20 miles N NW of my house right now and I can see and smell the smoke outside. I hope and pray that the wind stays down and doesn't turn on us, it wouldn't take long for it to cover that distance and be in the suburbs of Houston. My neighborhood is on the Western edge and has 5,000 homes in it. Within 5 miles of me heading East, there are another 65,000 homes and this fire is currently without air support because all of that is being used on the larger Bastrop fire. I think they're making progress on it but hot spots are reigniting and the still aren't letting a lot of the evacuated back into their homes.

Not to be political but still no response from the feds on our previous request for a state of emergency declaration when we had fires all over the state in May and no state of emergency declaration yet, that I know of, for this one. We've lost 3.6m acres to fires since Nov and have a state that is the driest it has been in almost 100 years, you've got to wonder at what point it's a big enough threat that the feds are willing to give us a hand...

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Declarations don't put out fires. Water does.

I'll happily send over the foot or so of rain Lee and Irene are providing.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You coming over the hill this way, Peter?

10. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

No, they don't but they do activate resources that aren't available until they're made. We need more resources.

We're only about 20" or so behind right now so that foot or so would be a nice start.