BIG Giant-Vac - Need advice!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWS LAWN, Nov 25, 2002.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I've been pricing leaf loaders in the last few days. For a 16 h.p. prices range anywhere from 2100.00 to 2900.00 new. Well I have came across a big leaf loader. The guy is going to let me check it out for a couple of days. It is a giant-vac with a 4 cylinder gas engine on it. I went to the giant-vac site and it has to be either the 30 or 60 h.p. model. Anyway the guy bought it from a town that bidded it off. I'm sure that the town keep good maintanence on it. All it needs is some paint. The unit has 1600 hours on it, don't really know but with that engine it should have plenty of life left in it. As big as it is I'm guessing it is the 60 h.p. vac. beings that it was used in a city. What would be a fair price to offer the guy beings he does not use it and probably got it for cheap. I'll be pulling it behind a 1 ton dump bed truck. The bed is 12'x7' and I'm going to put 4' high sides and back on it with a heavy duty tarp on the top. Thanks.
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

hey buddy thats a great chose i have one similar an the giant vacs use the wisconsin motors an they are tough.i would tell him 1500-1800 depending on condition .they never clog an all kinds of raw power i have mine behind a 14 foot box truck it works great.there is no comparison to a billy goat it will suck that damn billy goat up. mine will take sticks like 2-3 inch an just crunch em .any more questions feel free

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Bad Boy, This one had a pto coming off of the motor. I guess that is the "transmition". It is what transferred the power to the fan. What is the maintanance keep up of the unit. Do you know what the 60 h.p. cost new? Thanks
  4. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Hey MWS,

Any photos of this thing? Are you going to buy it or are you just kicking tires?
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

MWS LAWN,i dont know the cost of a new giant vac 60 hp i would think in the lines of 10-15 thousand but i'm not sure.let me tell ya they are not cheap new industrial vacs are expensive.
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

but well worth the investment if the work is there for them. Also, I wouldn't count on the city maintaining the equipment very well. The majority of the dept's I've known people in, it doesn't get fixed/looked at unless its broken.

Talk to Lawn God Father about price, I can't help you much there, I've been out of touch with the states for a few years.

Check it out good and good luck with the purchase.
  7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

MWS you will want to build higher sides than that(4') we have 6' and have seen some with 8'. The more leaves you can pack in the fewer trips to the dump which means time not making money.

One of the municipalities has 9 yd boxes on their trailers and after talking with the guys they say that they can fill that thing up in just a few houses. Why waste all your time going to dump build it as big as possible.

If you do a search LGF has one that is behind an international truck with 12' high sides. That will hold some leaves.
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

giant vac trailer mounted 65hp Wisconsin lists for $11k

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My city auction they went for around 1,200-2000K but they were diesel models with around 1500-3000 hrs. and in decent shape. New they go for 10K+ I would get the one your looking at if you can get it for under 2K.....a new billgoat 16hp goes for 2,500+tax ect... go for it ! but test her out first then post some pics !
  10. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. He is having the vac serviced tomorrow, so I'll be able to get it from him over the weekend. I'll be testing it out next week. I'll try to get some pics. of it and have them posted.