1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

big hole pond???

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by papbear69, Mar 2, 2004.

1. papbear69

papbear69 LawnSite Member

i bought a house about 1 and 1/2 ago. been deployed most of this time. have huge, and i mean HUGE hole in back yard. imensions are about 115' long and about 45' wide. i am thinking of turning it into a pond was wondering what i should line it with posible aeration procedures and type of fish. my major concern is mosquitos in the summer. i live in virginia and they get pretty bad around here as it is. the only proble i see with this is that everyones yard around me drain into mine. the question i have is would it be worth it to put in a pond or maybe fill in first. i will try to get a picture and post it tommorow. any help would be greatly appreciated. pretty much new to the whole home owner/gardener scene.

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

http://aquascapedesigns.com

Try them out. You'd be looking at some big $$$. (11'x16' ponds go for $6000)

If you do it, do it right. If you try to take short cuts, you'll have nothing but problems.

Mosqitos shouldn't be a problem at all. The bucket next to your house with 2-3" of water is the place mosqiutos like to breed.

Post the pic, it could work?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Planted fish = no misquitos.;)

4. gpriddy

gpriddy LawnSite Member
    from MD

It is my experience that you shouldn't line a natural low spot for a pond...

I know that it sounds odd, but rain water will seep under the liner and push it up.

Instead, line the 'hole' with clay based soil and fill. It should hold any water you fill it with and will be very natural.

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Gary has a good point I would make it a clay based pond also

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

AQUASCAPES has pressure relief valves for the liner to let air/water out from under the pond
    if u call them they will help u