Big Install looking for direction!!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lehrjetmx, Jul 27, 2008.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Here is the baseline info:
    190 x 210 piece of property.
    60 PSI with 35 GPM off a 1.5 horse.
    Looking to run 1.5 PVC pipe out of the house thru the backflow out to a truck line with 6 zones valves attached again 1.5 RB's. From there should I stay with the 1.5 PVC pipe or 1 PVC pipe or even 1 polypipe which we normal run. Only asking due to the pressure and GPM. Thought the 1.5 PVC would be best with swing joints for the heads. We normally run poly pipe but something keeps telling me 18 GPM max for 1 inch poly. Going to run 10-12 rotor heads per zone spacing looks good.
    This is my first big install like this but the only thing that changes from a normal install is the presure and GPM so everything should be the same. Will be the first on the trencher though!!!!!
    Would anybody use a bigger main truck? Would you use polypipe after the valve? And what size?
    Thanks for the help!!!!

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

If you have 1.5 pvc @ 35 gpm or so to the manifold. In the past I have run 1.5 poly zone feeds to a 1 and 1/4 zone lines..Also when we attached our zone lines we split the heads to keep the flow almost the same after the T to inch and a quarter...

Keep the water strong for as long as possible is how I was taught...Sometimes it was an overkill, most of the time it made the job profitable.....

good luck...

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

30+ gpm is 2-inch pipe territory, even though you can use 1-1/2" valves. Unless you are looking for a pressurized main, the need for any PVC is questionable.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Def agreed..Use the poly pipe when possible...

And you can totally get away with the 1.5....

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Poly and sch 40 pvc are the same....for 1" you can only cram 12 gpm through
    it without violating the 5' per second rule. The friction loss is about the same, too....about 3.5 psi per 100'.

6. Wet_Boots

35 gpm does produce losses in 1-1/2 pipe, so upsizing gives you a safety factor, in the event you need it, One could also dink around with the pressure switch, and go for 70+ psi supply pressure, albeit at a lower flow. What backflow preventer does the system get?

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I Missing something here? 190 x 210 is not really big. If you can be assured of extended run times at your GPM and PSI, then Tee off from your zone valves with 1" poly. Easier to pull than trench, less expensive labor/materials. You can even pull 1.5" poly from the manifold, less trenching. Then tee "down" to the 1" poly lines.

Two , 1" poly lines on each tee'd 1.5" ZV would support your 10-12 heads per ZV depending on your nozzles. Also helps you out if in future the water volume is decreased in drought times.

8. Wet_Boots

It's on a well, so unless he has the owner's permission, he isn't going to underdraw the well capacity and install a CSV. (which would simplify things)

9. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

CAPT/ Wet Boots/ Mike & Walk - Thanks for the advice!!!
    The backflow not too sure was going for the standard watts 8004 1.5 that we normally use not that big though.
    I need to add 1 other thing that this is a farm house and the pump also supplies water to the barn and to a 4 system drip line to feed the mums. So I really don't want to mess with whats already there. I pretty much need to keep the supply PSI/ GPM where its at now. The well was moved last week closer to the house so I will need to hook up the Drip system and the lawn. I would like to run 1.5 main truck PVC and single wire valve's to 1.5 poly sounds like the best way to go with this to make it easier on me in the long run. Do any off you guys think I should go with the WM system as far as a clock?

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't go Calsense or Rain Master. the W*M Smartline is pretty cool, We've got four
    in service & have had problems zero. Hank is putting one in now that uses the Hunter flow sensor,
    will be interesting to see how that works.