Big Job! For me anyways

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naten07, Jul 31, 2007.

1. naten07

naten07 LawnSite Member

I just landed a deal to mow a sixteen acre field! I have never had to think about how much to charge for a job like this because I have only ever mowed lawns under 5 acres and those included weedeating and blowing. This job is just one large open field and it requires no finishing work. How much?

2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on equiment, but i would say it would take at least a day and a half with a 60" ztr. The terrain will play a big part in this. Ball park guess would be 1000 to 1400. Maybe as high as 1600 but how often are you mowing this? If it's a one time deal, 1500. If you can contract them for say four times a year, maybe 1200. There's alot of stuff you could hit and damage your mower. Could you rent a large bush hog on the back of a tractor? That might be a better bet but would play a part in your estimate.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How high is it now and how often do they want it cut?

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

16 acres is a pretty good sized area and it might be a good idea to rent a tractor/brush hog rig. I'd make sure what the agreement is with the rental company if there is damage caused by some hidden pipes/etc.

My neighbor does a lot of brush hog work for hire and it doesn't seem to bother him hitting chucks of concrete or small pieces of logs or metal.

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

How overgrown is this field? I could cut sixteen acres of waist high crass with my tractor in a day. Charge around 1500-1800

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well you haven't landed the deal if you're asking what to charge.

More details. Is it a rough field with tall stuff, or is this mostly turfgrass and smooth ground?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think some of ya here are delusional...$75 - $100 per acre to mow a field. Gimme a break. :laugh:

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

is that in reverse?

9. naten07

naten07 LawnSite Member

Wow! 1500?!! The guy that used to do it only charged 350 a mow every two weeks with a brush hog! I knew that he was low but i didn't now that he was that low. I was thinkin about charging more like 600, :hammerhead: but from what you guys have said I guess that I need to up my prices a bit. I don't own a brush hog but my father does, so I might ask him to use it

10. naten07

naten07 LawnSite Member

by the way I doubt I will get the job if I charge above 1000 after it used to mowed for 350:cry: