1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big Job....how much??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iclgs, Feb 12, 2003.

1. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Trying to bid for a job...never done anything this big....60 arces total. mostly open spaces, few trees, small inclines and a pond.

Any ideas on what you would charge?

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

3. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

:dizzy: 60 acres man oh man ........is that going to be a one time shot or a weekly mowing ,your talking some serious income if its a weekly or even every other week deal..good luck on that one
  4. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

will be biweekly for 6 months April 1 to Oct 31st.....

2000.00 per cut or what???:blob2:
  5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, probably more like $2,500 for bi-weekly. That's some serious time. How many people, what equipment, what if it rains, Could you afford to loose them if you got the job?
  6. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Probably ought to figure out how much would need to be mowed with different mowers...I'm assuming it's not a field with 60 acres, but if it is you'd need a different mower than you'd used if it was 60 acres of 3' wide strips. So you'd have something like 30 acres with a 72" Z, 10 acres with a 36"WB 2 acres with a 22", figure out how long it takes you to cut an amount, say a half acre with each type of mower and multiply it out.

Is that what you were looking for?
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Exactly,what kind of property is this. You will need 2 or 3 big mowers and 3 or 4 people and it wil still take a while to handle it!
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

60 acres-one wide area mower-one person - 10 hrs.

wide deck-snow-1.jpg
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

For 60 acres my guess would be that hes going to need the other wing mower instead of the flex deck for maximum productivity.

Is this an option that you have readily available for such larger sites??
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would certainly be cautious about the bi-weekly deals. Grass around here grows a bunch in 14 days. I would outline questions like
    1. are they picky about grass clumps
    2. How short do they want it cut.
    3. Are there muddy or wet areas that will cause you problems

For best results, you can only cut 1/3 off the height of the grass plant. If its 6" when you get there, it becomes increasingly harder to mow more that 2" off in one passing. You can certainly cut it lower with out a lot of trouble, however I would be a little concerned with 60 acres of tall grass. Dont get yourself in a situation that you have to go over it twice. Put it in writing that you are only responsible for removing 1/3 of blade of grass or you may regret it in spring when it's growing like crazy.