Big job of the season...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by randallwise, Oct 16, 2004.

1. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

Here are links to our big job this season. After looking at them, I realized I need to shoot more. It was late in the day and I didn't get great images, but regardless, here you go.

We put in over 600 trees/shrubs/plantings
    15000 ft sq sod
    over 80 yds gravel
    120 yds fine bark

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1840091&T=1

Design was done by a landscape architect who was on site for planting placements.

Acute Cut likes this.
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nice job you guys do great work.

3. GardenofWeeden

GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member

Nice work. With or without the late days shadow...your work showed. Excellent job.

4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Wow!! That's a lot of work... Looks great.

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

very nice. I like the style you have.

6. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

That looks great. I had a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them. What types of trees are in the patio and in the middle of the pond? and how do you get them to survive especially in the patio? What do you put around it? you can PM the answers for me if you don't mind. Looks great.

7. Outdoor Services

Outdoor Services LawnSite Senior Member

It blows my mind why you plant a tree in a flag stone patio :dizzy:
    and not to metion tree that size so close to the house and infront of a window :dizzy:
    My neighbor did the same 15 years ago and they where shaking there heads when they had to hire a tree Co. to cut it up and take them away. Some people just have no for thaught.. ;)
    HELLO they don't stay 10-15 feet tall and four foot wide for ever!!

8. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

nice job, looks like a good chunk of change. nice tree in the flag stone - deep roots, about 8 inch radius to grow, will look nice in a few years, in 10-15, they just have to trim the stone and make more room.

nice job!

tell us more

9. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

Dig-it: The tree in the patio is an Acer palmatum (don't remember cultivar off hand, but I'll look it up) and is irrigated w/ sub-surface drip. The tree in the pond is made of copper, a water feature w/ water trickling out the ends of the branches. It was done by another contractor for the local Parade of Homes. Another contractor did a minimal installation in the front of the home which we modified by moving planter beds and replacing trees/shrubs. The rest of the property was done by my company.

Outdoor: No, they don't stay that size forever, but the A. palmatum (cultivar planted) will get maybe 20', moderate rate of growth. It will fit just nicely where it was placed. The reason it was placed was to: 1. provide shade on the patio (they'll have furniture out there), and 2. to screen a large community swale visible from the 2nd storey patio. The canopy will get just the right size to do that.

DALM: More info? Ok...

The property is about 1.2 hillside acres, daylight basement w/ view of golf course in valley to the east. Surrounded on three sides by road, the couple wanted a screen of vegitation to offer privacy, hense the dense planting around the property.

Views were considered from windows, patios, and outdoor areas and we used plantings to frame views as much as possible while trying to hide roads, utilities, etc. I realize I don't have images of the front of the home from a distance, so I'll get more for you.

Permaloc aluminum edging was used around the turf. The dry-riverbeds at the base of the stairs, next to the patio are runoff points for the rain gutter downspouts and drain out to the community swale. All rain gutters were diverted underground to strategic points in the landscape. N. side of the house drains out to the aspen grove in the far corner of the property.

I kick myself for not having before pictures. Hopefully the homeowners do. Suffice it to say, the change is night and day. The perimeter of the property was shoulder-height weeds.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate your feedback and I'd be happy to offer more info for anyone, and I especially like constructive comments and questions. I'm trying learning as much as everyone else on this forum!