Big job question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyKnight, Sep 1, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

At this point I don't have many accounts (10). Mowing is not my full-time job, but I love to do it. My full-time job is teaching. A lady I teach with has approximately 7 acres she cuts between her home and her mom's house. She says she is sick of it, but I don't know how much she is willing to pay. It is mostly open ground with some trees and trimming around the homes. She won't be picky, or in other words, it doesn't have to be perfect. She just wants to make sure the grass is cut on a weekly basis. I don't want to blow her away with a price, but I would like to get the job and make some decent money from her. I think once she sees what I can do she would be pleased. But, like I said, I'm fairly new to this. I have only bid small jobs; nothing this big. Give me some help.

2. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

You should be able to mow 3 acres an hour with your JD 54" 23 HP Kaw. That's a little over 2 hours rider time. Figure total of 3 hours if you trim. A low rate, $20/hour = $60 per week.

3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

holy crap stop giving advice man 60 dollars is way low. It should be around 250 to 300 dollars if there is alot of triimming involved. I cut a 2 acre property for 110.

4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Amen!! I've got half a dozen good-sized lawns...$110 for 2 acres/$85 for 1.5 acres/$75 for 1.5 acres etc... It's all relative, but if it's wide open like you say I would start at $200 at a minimum. Anything but the roughest of cuts would be more (and are you sure you want to put your signature on 7 acres of poorly serviced lawn?) Charge for and provide a quality service! I've turned down jobs because they 'don't care how it looks' or just want it mowed w/no trimming or edging etc...Word of mouth can work against you, too!

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree...$60 is WAY TOO LOW. I am $60 an acre for up to 3 acres then it drops to $40 for each after 3. But it's your choice...start high...you never know...she may think it's a good deal!

6. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

Holy Crap?

It's a lady he works with!

I mow a property next to a 3 acre doctor's home where the LCO cuts it for $75 a week and I am in a city of 17,000. Where this guy lives, may be lucky if there is half that amount of population. You charge a lady $1,000 month to cut vacant land in rural Southern Indiana and you'll be called a thief!

If you charged $250 for 3 hours of work, that's $83 per hour. Do you think you'll get that out of one of your residential lawn accounts? If you can let me know...I'll give it a try....at that rate I would quadrouple my monthly income! Not to mention make well over $40,000 year from 10 lawns!

Wow!

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

$60 for 3 ACres???!!!! Dude get off the pipe! A GOOD price would on her part would be $125-$150

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

MM Lawn, how fast is your equipment? I mean, I try to charge around $1 a minute my time, and I have a 3 acre account I can do in 1 hr with trimming and blowing, and I charge $65

9. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

$60.00 for 3 acres. Man that makes me laugh, loud, I mean way out loud where people can hear me. Sorry lawnmowingboys but this is really way out there low.

Geoff

10. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm shocked you can do that much better in Alabama to be honest, not exactly the richest area of the US