Big job question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobbyKnight, Sep 1, 2004.

1. BobbyKnight

BobbyKnight LawnSite Member

At this point I don't have many accounts (10). Mowing is not my full-time job, but I love to do it. My full-time job is teaching. A lady I teach with has approximately 7 acres she cuts between her home and her mom's house. She says she is sick of it, but I don't know how much she is willing to pay. It is mostly open ground with some trees and trimming around the homes. She won't be picky, or in other words, it doesn't have to be perfect. She just wants to make sure the grass is cut on a weekly basis. I don't want to blow her away with a price, but I would like to get the job and make some decent money from her. I think once she sees what I can do she would be pleased. But, like I said, I'm fairly new to this. I have only bid small jobs; nothing this big. Give me some help.

If it matters, I have good equipment. I run a John Deere z-track 737 w/ a 54 in. cut. I'm guessing a job like this, by myself, might take 4-5 hours. Is that an accurate estimate?

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bobby,

A common practice on first time jobs, if the customer is willing, is to offer a low "one time Mow" price and let them know that after you mow it once, you'll be able to give them an more accurate price for future mows. This way you can price without guessing, and the customer will have a chance to see your work. Hope this helps.

3. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

With your equipment I would think 4.5-5.5 hours would be closer to correct. Just as a guide you shoud get at least $30 for acre but no more than $45 an acre. Hope this helps.