big job to bid need help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DiSantolandscaping, Sep 24, 2011.

1. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

ok so i got a job to bid on at a universtiy down the road. They are asking for 457 plants trees shrubs etc, plus two paver patios at the top of some stairs on on the north end and one on the south end of the building. One patio is 22 long by 16.6 ft wide. and th other is 22 long by 18.6 ft wide. how can i determine labor for planting plus to do the pavers. I know that i need 44 yards of aggregate material and 3 yards of sand. thanks for the advice. biggest job i have ever bid on.

2. DavesLL

DavesLL LawnSite Member

Same as any other bid. You have to do some estimating, and some math.

Materials, find a supplier. Sum cost of mats, including delivery fees. Tack on your upcharge (if any) for them.

Each part of the job, estimate the required labor (in hours). Sum all hours, multiply by your labor rate. For any part of the job, add the cost (either your hourly for use of it, or the rental cost of it) of any specific machinery needed such as bobcats, augers, etc...

Sum everything from above together, that's your bid. Want to be fancy? In the above, sum only actual costs (i.e., actual supply cost, actual labor cost, actual overhead cost). That gives you the basement breakeven bid. Anything above that is your profit / wiggle room for problems.

3. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

thanks but the problem is i have never platned that many things at once or done two patios that size so how can you do the math to figure out that. the aggregate materials is 18 in deep, then 1 in of sand/cement it calls for the the pavers which will need to cut some of them for the design. I think you looking at almost two weeks worth of labor for planting, grading the patio, cutting everything as you go, and so on.

4. 360 Lawn Service

360 Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Break the job down into sizes you have completed in the past. This will give you an idea of what to charge to make a profit. When I do this I estimate the first break down normally, then charge 90% on the rest of the break down. This is because we will already be on site.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

ok so im figuring 5 days to do all the plants shrubs and trees for labor. then im going to figure 5 more days to do the patios and add two extra days on just in case it rains, or if i need a little more time for cushin.

6. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

i figured that because i have a chart that brakes it down on what they want and i just looked at it and figured so many plants for each day

7. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am a little lost on the planting part of this. Its only 460 plants, how can that take you 5 days? Do you have make new plant beds and all that? or just adding to existing beds? And how many trees vs. shrubs. anything up to 5 gal containers will go in really fast. trees maybe a little longer.

8. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

because on some of the examples are 7 red sunset maples 9 heritage river birch, 1 robin hill serviceberry, 4 balsam firs, 2 whit spruce pg1, 4 white spruce pg 2, 55 sweet gales, 10 dwarf fothergilla, 111 little bluestem 50 blue ox grass and so on and so on but they are all spread out over the campus plus some of the trees are 5 to 15 ft tall.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious....weren't you going to move down south? How are you going to warranty the plants if you're not here?

10. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

we arnt moving now because its to risky with the economy the way it is.