Big Job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmlcinc, Mar 28, 2005.

1. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

Got a huge mowing job to do and would like to see what you guys would bid. Here's the specs:

40 acres rough mowed. This will be once per year so it will be about 3-4 feet mowed down to 8-12 inches.

217 acres finish mowed. This will be done about 4 times per year. Mow down to about 4 inches after grass reaches about 12 inches.

Have a 130HP older Case tractor to do the job but need to buy a brush hog. Will probably need two seperate brush hogs for the finished and rough mowing. Any suggestions on that would also be appreciated.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutting 12" grass down to 4" can be hard on equipment when yur talking about that kind of acrage. I beleive I would use a bush hog for the entire thing because a finish mower will have a difficult time with 12" grass. Perhaps a rear discharge bush hog wont clump as severely. I assume this has been mowed at that frequency prior to you cutting it or is this "virgin" cutting that may provide many "suprises". Myself, I would ask if I could go out there and cut just one acre. Then u could determin a more accurate time frame. Around here we get $30 to $60 and acre which for your size area
  3. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

This area to be mowed has all been mowed in the past. It's a local airport. As far as the mower goes I was thinking about using something like a John Deere HX15 for the finished mowing and a smaller brush hog for the rough cut. The smaller 40 dosn't have to be cut until fall.
  4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

What about just renting a brush hog for a couple days or week long in the fall and just include the rental price in your bid. That way you dont have to dump out a couple grand or so for a brush hog you might only use once a year in the fall.

Just a thought
  5. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

would it be possible to lease it out to a farmer for bailing hay?
    dont know how many weeds are in those fields, sounds like a lot of land to be just mowed and do nothing with.
  6. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

I was thinking of renting a brush hog for the "rough" mowing. As for leasing I don't own the land, it's the land around an airstrip that needs to be kept mowed down and I'm bidding on it myself. I kinda worded my first post wrong and made it sound like I needed it mowed. Sorry. Thanks for the ideas though.