1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

big jump

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Jul 27, 2004.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Well friends I have made a huge move in expanding my business. I have bought out a guy who has 45 yards. So starting next Monday I go from cutting 40 yards a week to 85. It is something I felt I needed to do and am really excited about it. This guys customers are under contract for the reminder of this year and all of next year so it is mine to grow or lose it. I am very confident in my ability and ready to take the plunge. Anybody have any pointers or advice you might think I need to know? Thanks all.
  2. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Do the new customers approve of this deal.........contracts mean nothing.......really........you have to impress them to keep them.
  3. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

good luck wiyh the new n old:)
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Did you pay all the money up front or will it depend on how many customers you retain? Usually there is a clause concerning customers lost because of the transfer of ownership. I worked for PRISM (a unit of Johnson Wax when they were sold to Orkin) and that was the case then. It was rumored to be around 25mil but they lost accounts and techs, like me!
  5. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

well of course i have to impress them to keep them that is why I said I have next year and the rest of this year to do that. If I did not have a guarantee like that I would have never made this venture. They must agree or they would not have signed the contract.
  6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to rain on the parade, but they agreed for service from the other guy. Unless he has something in his contract along the lines of "this contract is still valid through the event of sale" .

What i am saying is they signed a contract with "Joe Blows Lawn Care" not you.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

What Trevor posted may be true, but I have found most people just don't want to worry about their lawn. As long as he does a good job, that should be good enough. Not like they were having brain surgery and the surgeon sold the rights to perform the surgery to "Joe Blow's Brains R Us" Then they might be a little PO'ed
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I think it's a very smart move. I'm hoping to buy a going-out-of-business competitor this winter (or two) if I can find them.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. of my 46 customers...a few (maybe 10) CARE what their yard looks like. Most just want it cut and wouldnt care about who is mowing it as long as it is the same price.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes .... Good Luck

I did the same thing 5 years ago (50 of em) n have NO regrets ..... boosted my monthly cash flow .... 50% for that year ....just the push needed ..... still have least 1/2 of em .... just provide good service n it's all good