Big landscape job price check

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scarr133, Oct 17, 2006.

1. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today from a homeowner wanting a total revamp of his yard. He is wanting it all tilled up and hauled away, 1/2" of topsoil spread over entire yard, seed and starter fert put down and raked in, straw blanket put down on the hill in the back yard and straw spread over the rest of the yard. His yard is 12,700 sq. feet. Our cost on a bobcat and harley rake to till up yard is $425, topsoil $470, Straw Blanket $265, Straw $50, seed $132 and fert $20. With markup and labor, we were at $3750 for the job. How does this sound to everyone? I have a 12K dump trailer to haul away old soil and it costs me $10 per dump. Any help would be appreciated as I need this bid in by Friday. Just checking my price. My partner and I will be doing the job, and one other worker at $10/hour.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

before dumping and labor pay to employee your making $2388 thats not bad if you can get it done in 1-2 days

3. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

for that price he can resod the whoke thing

4. scarr133

we are anticipating a day and a half. He didn't mention anything about wanting sod. I think he wants to start fresh with a thin layer to top soil, as when they build new houses here in Indiana, they scrape away ALL topsoil and we are stuck with clay. That is why I think he wants it done the way I'm explaining

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you take a chance with seed this late its border line so hurry up sod will grow but probably go dormant

6. scarr133

He said he may wait until the spring to do it since it's so late and he doesn't want to take the chance on seed.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Uhhhhh, what good is an additional 1/2" of topsoil going to do? Is that going to be on top of the clay?

8. scarr133

the topsoil will be applied over top the clay, after yard is tilled up loosening up the clay soil. That is what the customer wants.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, then you both are destined to waste time and money while giving yourself a bad reputation. Letting the customer dictate improper procedures is ludicrous. A 1/2" of topsoil mixed into or on top of clay soil is like pissing into the wind, not too smart and what are you really looking to achieve.
    You need 4-6 inches minimum for any lawn to survive during drought times let alone have any type of quality to it in the long run. If the customer doesn't understand a proper lawn install or have the money to do the work, you need to walk away.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that if 1/2 inch of organic matter was added and rototilled in, rather than the 1/2 inch of topsoil, it would be much better.

Although, well-aggregated clay soils are not too bad. It's compacted clay that's the problem, or clay that lacks aggregation: no structure.