Big lawns vs. small lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gll, Jan 25, 2006.

1. gll

gll LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys think? Is it more profitable to mow small lawns(ones under 6000 square ft.) or larger ones? To me it seems like smaller lawns can be more profitable providing you can keep them close together. But on the other hand, a good profit can be made from cleanups and mulching the larger ones. What do you guys think?

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe in the long run that the smaller accounts are better. It's less wear on your body.

kc

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Too many variables. Some small lawns can be profitable, some can't. Some big lawns can, some can't. However, I would think that smaller lawns would be more profitable than big ones more times than not.

4. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

personally id rather have smaller lawns under 6000sqft. its easy to advertise thats for sure, you can go into nice devolpements offer all the residents the same rate, and at the same time you just might even land the common areas that the homeowner associate pays for. last year i was cutting lawns for this subdivision for $18.00 and had about 30 houses in this subdivision, and the lawns were tiny. it didnt bother me to take those account on b/c they where just adding to my route in that city. these are the kinda house that are mostly house, with small lawns front and back. but dont get me wrong, i love cutting lawns that are 1acre flat and open, because your just relaxed and comfortable. guess you could say there no difference you could always try to have a ratio of lawns small vs big. just my .02

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I enjoy a mix of lawns, but smaller lawns are better more often than not. ou can get more per sq. ft. There is an "even Point" I think, b/c i have smaller lawns that I charge $25.00, and some twice the size for the same price.

The smaller on takes 12 minuets, and the bigger one takes 25mins.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I find there is money to be made on both. But it depends on the layout and how efficent you can be on them. I like having a mix.

However, if I could have my choice... my perfect layout, I'd have a mix, but have it where I was never in one area more than 2 hours at a time before loading up and moving on.

For me, the fun ones are the ones I can drive to, drop, finish, loadup and drive to the next one in an hour. I can really mop up on these and stay more productive on-site.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

In my area its smaller only for me. When you get to around 45-50 bucks you are reaching the threshold of pain on what folks here will pay. Doesnt matter if its 6,000 sq. ft. or 60,000 sq. ft. I have lost my butt on to many large ones to mess with them anymore.

8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right about that. I can put 4 of my small lawns@30each on one larger property that I get $60.

kc

9. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

I prefer 1-2 lawns.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never worked on smaller lawns, I hope this year to really start to get into lawn care. but in the past i have handled several large 5+ acre yards and that made a good amount of profit. again i'm new to this and maybe big lawns aren't profitable compared to small yards. just my two cents