Big lawns vs small lawns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Apr 16, 2008.

?

big lawns vs small lawns

Poll closed Apr 19, 2008.
  1. big

33.9%
  2. small

66.1%
  1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I know im no expert { yet } but so far i prefer bigger lawns then the smaller one's. I love using the ztr way more the the 36'' and i enjoy just the comfort and less laboring big lawns. To me id rather sit on the ztr for 2 hrs then have to load and unload every 20 mins. I hate all the opsticals in the smaller lawns. Anyway maybe ill change my mind but as of right now give me the big lawns.

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my smaller lawns WAY better then my bigger ones. Of course I have a 44" homeowner ztr so you have to keep that in mind. I could take out four $30.00 lawns that are close together in the time I take out one $60.00 lawn. To me, The smaller lawns are wat more profitable.

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I agree. I use my 48in metro on 5 close properties that don't take me an hour and net more doing them then I do my large ones not to mention the time factor.

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

A small z like a gravely 34z might be the ticket. I seen your other comment about the Quick 36, when I bought my Toro 36 wb I thought I could get it into a truck bed when I realized I needed a trailer, and HAD to buy one, I wished I had bought a rider instead of a wb.

I like large yards too but almost all of mine are small to medium sized. The neighbourhoods where I get customers for lawns, I've been working in, doing Windows, for years. I'm not even sure how to JUST GET large lawns.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I find that people don't want to pay as much for a larger lawn. They see the lawn as wide open, obstacle free and that I am riding so they think its easy. What these clients dont understand is that by having me do the lawn they are saving themselves time to do other things like spend time with their family and not have to worry about the drudge of mowing a large property.

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I like small lawns - more money, less time - that pretty much sums it up.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I just like nice looking homes. My biggest yard is just shy of 3 acers. Any bigger I cant compete with those fellers who run those Dixie Choppers. I really dont want to invest 12 in my business at this time. I probably have made more money with my 21'" snapper than anyother peice of equiptment.

8. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

X2....All of my smaller lawns I can still use my 60" ztr. I wont drop the gate for under $40. The small 20 minnet lawns are more $$ in my pocket. Most of my lawns are 45 minnets to 2 1/2 hrs w/2 ztr's. The area im in just dont have small lawns, and if they do, the owners do it themselves.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I voted for small since 36" is the biggest deck I have for mowing. Plus, small typically = residential which may mean a long term customer and good relationship. Large typically = commercial customer which means 'I'll dump you next year for the cheapest dude in town regardless if the lawn looks like a football field or not'

10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Give me my 60" tank and a big commons area and I'm there. I'll bid that puppy just right to make 70 an hour and usually there is little to no trimming involved. Happy days.