1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big LCO's servicing cancelled accounts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Mar 28, 2003.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Do any of you have problems with the big lawn marketing companies servicing accounts that customers cancelled?

I had 2 customers today that I signed up at the end of last year had their lawns serviced by Scotts even though the customer cancelled them last year.

I had both of them call the Scotts # and they told them it was a mistake and they didn't have to pay it. The thing is now I'm out the revenue and have the materials sitting in my shop.

I think they do it on purpose to squeeze a last little bit of money out of people. It does give them a bad rep so I guess thats a plus.
  2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Turn them in!

They are cutting your throat!

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this problem several times. I had a real problem with a local guy. He would only accept a cancellation if it was in writing. It was in a very fine print on his invoices and he would not quit till he got a written notice. :) ;) :) ED
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

This has been SOP with the big companies for 20 years. If you get canceled, just continue with the applications anyhow. Customer won't pay attention and will pay the bills anyhow. (Remember, the big guys are NOT fertilizing businesses, they are MARKETING businesses.) And if you get caught at this ruse, you just apologize and say there is no charge. Last chance sale here - gee, you're being so nice, they ought to keep you as their provider.

What to do???? When you take over an account from one of the big ones, explain this practice to your new client. Tell them that that free application will ruin your program for the season. (It will ruin your initial income, and you will not know how much of what they dumped on the lawn, so rest of season is guesswork for you.) Tell client it is absolutely neccessary to get a written confirmation of cancellation from big green. They might want confirmation also of no erroneous free applications. I have never had a "mistake" done on a client who requested such a letter.
  5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We have this sort of problem every year with TGCL. Another problem we have with them on an ongoing basis is treating lawns with similar adresses. They supposedly have a customer at a certain number on 6th Ave. They'll treat that number on 6th street. If callled on it, they claim it is a mistake, but I think it is simply a way to give out free samples, and hopefully get the people hooked. I've tried to talk to them about these issues, but get nowehere, other than we're sorry. Problem continues.

Even though, they usually don't get paid if our new customer had cancelled them, often the customer will cancel our first app, because they don't want to double up. In my opinion, they don't put enough on at any one time to make much difference.

They were putting down apps here last week already. Frost not even completely out of the ground. I figure we're about four weeks from starting apps yet.

Austreim Landscaping
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait until you have your round 1 down already, and they come and dump their ton of Nitrogen all over it! THEN you have problems!:angry:
  7. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

TGCL , making lawn care look bad

Had it happen 10 times lost a few accounts due to double
    app;. TGCL spray and me granular++++====lawn burn

I lost the jobs and they blamed it on me