BIG leaf job..change oil B4 I do it??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Nov 30, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well I said b4 I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to engines...I do all the ez maint like oil/lube...have a big leaf job next week...the oil in the hp52 has about 70 hrs on it and looks dirty...I do change the foam air cleaner element every 8 hours...if you own one of these machines you know that changing the oil and filter is not as ez as it should be...I hate it..I'm guessing I'll put another 15 hours on the mower for this job...so...should I:

1. just keep the prefilters clean while working the leaves
    2. change just the oil
    3. change oil and filter

I've only had this machine for about 6 months so please pardon what may be stupid questions...thanks much

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I change my oil every 50 hours and the filter every 100. If changing the oil is making a mess on the mower (I'm guessing that is the reason you don't like to change it) then you need to change the way the oil drains. It's not hard and can be done to almost any engine. If you don't want to do that then buy one of those devices that sucks the oil out of the dipstick hole.

Actually the best way to cure the problem is to keep dirt out of the engine in the first place. Which engine do you have?

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

3. yes
    1. clean before you start the job and while your help is on lunch clean the filter again.
    oil and filter is cheap .if oil is dirty change it.

the last thing you wont is this mechine going down and job not complete.with this cold front coming to pa. you need no problems..
    just my 2 cents...what do i know i fertilize lawns..
    anthony

good luck

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

now how did I know you were going to tell me to change it....BTW its a 23kaw

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you use snythetic oil I would wait and put it to bed with clean oil. If not change it.

Mark

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe he has the same enging as I do, the 23 kawaasaki. I am interested on how the task of keeping the dirt out of the engine is accomplished. I am going to get a heavy duty filteration system for it, but if you don't have the heavy filteration, how is it done. The tiny filters on the kawasaki's are a joke. Don't last very long neither.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Gary? Couple of weeks ago or so you were sure your marketing/flyer blitz to sell Fall Clean-ups was lookin like a bust? Now it's almost December and you're still busy.

Careful what you wish for my friend...LOL...glad to here you are still busy doing them. Monday is our last day for them...and I can't wait:D :D :D

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If your machine only has 70 hrs TOTAL on it I would change the oil and filter now. The way you do the maintenance early on in the mowers life is the most important time to be on time with intervals. Break in in right. There could be small chips of metal in the factory oil.

Still if your mower has 70 hrs on since you last changed the oil I would change the oil and filter ASAP. I change oil and filter every 50 hrs. Every time I put new oil in I'm putting a new filter, don't care what the manual says. New oil = new filter.

I'd also look into one of the aftermarket air cleaners for the engine as well. I did one on my Z-Master and have noticed a difference in the condition of the oil.

I'd rather err on caution than replace a motor at 500 hrs or so.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Premo Lawn Services wrote:

I am interested on how the task of keeping the dirt out of the engine is accomplished. I am going to get a heavy duty filteration system for it, but if you don't have the heavy filteration, how is it done.

By getting a heavy duty air cleaner system and an Amsoil bypass oil filter. Otherwise you're kinda screwed and will have to either change the oil more often or replace the engine at an earlier date.

Green Pastures wrote:

Every time I put new oil in I'm putting a new filter, don't care what the manual says.

On engines where the oil filter is mounted thread side down or sideways most of the oil runs back out of the filter when you shut the engine down anyway. I have taken quite a few oil filters apart after they've been used and with very few exceptions they have all been almost perfecty clean after 50 hours of use. The only exception has been filters that have been left on engines for extended periods of time, in the 300 to 400 hour range with no oil change. It has become obvious to me that the most important thing is to change the oil at regular intervals.

While the regular oil filters on my 25 Kohler are coming up clean my Amsoil 1 micron bypass filter is another story. The filter change interval is yearly. When I cut that filter open there is usually 1/2 to 1" of very fine particles in the bottom of it. It is also obvious that these particles are passing right through the normal filter and getting trapped by the bypass filter. That is why I do change the oil at every 50 hours but leave the filter on for 100.