1. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

What kind of equipment do you guys use to plow biggger parking lots like a Wal-Mart, K-Mart,Menards,etc. Do you use big dumps, loaders with pusher boxes, or just regular pickups with 8.5 ft plows?

Neal

2. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

I have no personal experience plowing bigger lots but from what i have gathered from this site most of these guys are going to tell you that a pusher will work the best.

3. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

Again no need to reqoute the entire post.
    IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO JUST USE 1 TON TRUCKS ON THIS JOB W/ AT LEAST 3 TRUCKS DEPENDING ON ALOT.1)HOW QUICK R THE FLAKES DROPPIN 2)EXPIERENCE 3)WHAT TIME DOES THE STORE OPEN 4)CARS IN THE LOT ? 5)NEW EQUIPMENT? 6)MORE EXPERENCE 7)

[Edited by plowking35 on 01-05-2001 at 06:54 AM]

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

In our area if you dont have a 2-medium duty trucks w/ a 10ft'er, they have been known to sub it out to locals so that they can have 4-6 3/4 ton to 1 ton pick-up's on any given site at one time.

These smaller trucks usually have to pile it in the middle of the lots accordingly if they cannot push it to the curbing.

Some companies will lease front loaders with 11 foot pushers if they are receiving x amount of dollars from their customers regardless of snowfall.

Hope this helps.

kris

5. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

it depends on the lot configuration ie; islands ect. and where the snow must end up. i used to plow for a company plowing a 30 acre lot with a shopping dead center. we used loaders around the building then started circling using bigger equiptment the further out we got.pickups at first then ten wheel dumps w/ten foot plows and graders with wings. if they coulden`t push it to the end we would break paths purpindicular through the windrow to the end of the lot with large front end loaders so that the plows could continue. Now that lot has changed and is so full of obsticles that no one area is bigger than 2 acres. the company that plows in now uses pickups,loaders,skidsteers ect.,anything they can to make piles that are later loaded into trucks and hauled on sight until space runs out then off sight for an additional fee.

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Loaders with a pusher or a big blade. And or:

small truck for clean up
    or Big dump truck to help plow.

Geoff

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You CAN plow anything with a 1 ton or 3/4 ton, but is it efficient is the question and will you be beating your trucks up trying to do it. We have a shopping mall with many islands and the snow has to be piled in two areas only. We have found out for the less cost than 3-4 trucks and their operators we can run one 1 or 3/4 ton truck to do small areas and one loader with ProTech and do it in less time, give the customer a better job and do more work with that truck and loader than you can with all those trucks and operators. If you want to own a whole bunch of trucks and employ all the people to operate them and the repairs and maintenance and all the other headaches, then do it with trucks.

If you are going to plow with trucks only, take Geoff's advice and use at least a medium duty truck that will stand up to the abuse.

Our customer with the the large lot did a comparison cost study between us and the previous contractor. They found out that althought the initial price was more for plowing 1", it cost them 33% less to have us do it with loaders the first time because we didn't have to come back and haul the piles away that we couldn't move with our trucks.

8. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Mark-

you wouldn't be doing the Rivertown now would you?

9. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I do a KMart a Lowes a Target and a large grocery store and old Target building combined.We use three pushers a tractorhoe with an 11ftr and three dumps(two singles and a tandem)two with 11ftrs and one with a 10ft western.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think there is any way you could get me to even think about that place. Way too many headaches.