Big man on a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Sep 3, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Ran a search for this but did not come up with anything. I will buy a ZTR with in 2/3 months. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. Is there any sitting (or standing) ZTR anyone would recommend I stay away from? Don't want to lean over on a standing system nor do I want to bang my knee into hard steel on a sitting one. Here are some of the one's I've struck down- JD 655, Exmark (dealership has bad reputation), Great Dane. I'm iffy on a Walker- the dealership here is not set up to do serious maintenence on the systems (I'm still a novice on things mechanical). Any positive recommendations would be appreciated as well. Tell me what works if you are my size or near.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You my friend will find that for you a Z rider is the best option. The stand up riders such as Great Dane/Wright are basically for 6ft and shorter.

Im 6-1 and have a little bit of discomfort after standing there hunched for long periods of time.

I have a friend whos a cutter here locally and hes 6-6 and loves the eXmark Zs. I think that you will find your best comfort fronm them and others that are comparable.

Kris

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

What are your cutting requirements? Do you need to bag the clippings? Small footprint or the bigger the better?

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Presently I'm heavy on commercial but have 3 large commercial accounts. Do not need to bag, 30% of my accounts have flat grass areas. The rest have rolling hills. Half my accounts have fenced backyards. Must have the flexability of easy deck changes. Tallahassee is heavy on leaves in the fall. 30 % of accounts have St. Augustine, the rest have mix of centapede & burmuda.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

6' 3" and, well, after this weekend 199lbs. Hopefully by next Friday I will be back down to 190. Holiday weekends just lead to eating. My inseam is 36" so I have long legs vs. a long torso. I know you don't want the eXmark because of dealer but that is what I have (60 Z). Plenty of room on it. I demoed the Wright Stander and Sentar. The Stander is o.k. The Sentar is not even tolerable for anyone as tall as me. I would imagine the ZTR would be the way to go. Good luck!

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have exmark and hard to beat. but u need to see if a hustler dealer is around. they r smooth

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Im 6'3" and I think you need to look into the Hustler Z, or even the walk behind. Their stuff seems like it is built for average to tall, but maybe its just me. Go look and I think you will buy. Either are very smooth to operate.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Floating and adjustable front to rear.

Your height should be no problem and the seat is also adjustable for weight. (suspension on seat variable from cushy to firm).

Ken

9. customcut

customcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I/m in a Gravely 250 zero turn im 6.4 280 no problems actually the most comfortable mower i've ever been on :cool:

10. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I'm 6'5 245lbs and I have a Lazer and a Lazer Z HP. Also I had a surfer. The regular Lazer is the way to go. I like my HP, but it is a little bit shorter and sits a little bit lower to the ground. I would stay away from the surfer though, that thing was very hard to mow with, especially on hills. Good Luck!