1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big Mess...Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtruck618, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jtruck618

jtruck618 LawnSite Member

Here is my predicament. I bought a used JD 737 in the fall of 08 with 200hrs on it. It was in great shape and looked new, it's an 05 model. Each year since then, I had some sort of oil leak. 1st year the fix was a seal around the shaft and cost $110, not a big deal. Last year it was a bad head, which cost $600+. Now it has a bad seal around the oil pan, and a bad wheel motor. The JD dealer says to fix will cost $2300! I paid about 5k for it. I dont wanna sink the cash into it. It currently has 332 hours on it. I use it for my 3+ acres and sometimes mow for a neighbor or some property for a family member, but very limited. So, I need.....a new mower and a way to get rid of my 737. What have you guys done in these situations? I asked the JD service guy and he said fix it since I keep it in such good shape and the hours are low. But I dont want to take the chance.

I would like to spend around 7k or maybe even 8k. I would love to trade the 737 in and get SOMETHING for it. So far, a Scag/JD dealer offered me 250 on the phone. Is it worth more than that? I like the Tiger cat, couple of the Exmarks.......price quoted on a e-series lazer z was 8100. Place was not wanting to do a trade. I also have a Cub Cadet 1527 lawn tractor, in great shape, with just over 100 hours.

I'm up for any and all suggestions. Thanks.
  2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

How bad is the pan seal leaking? If not major just let it ride for now and check the oil a little more often. Could you replace the wheel motor. That would save you a lot on labor. Or do you have a friend that is mechanically minded? I would personally keep the mower. I have a TT that has 1700 hrs on it and I replaced the motor on it this spring. $1800.00 verses $10K I made my money back on the motor replacement in the first 2 mo of the season.
    Hope this helps!

3. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I bet they did. And I bet the parts cost less than a quarter of that. Everything needs maintenence. And your going to have this same problem with what ever you buy eventually. nstead of just selling it my suggestion is to get online or even here and find out what needs to be done. I'll even help you with whatever you have trouble with. Just get out there and get it done yourself.
  4. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

2300 to fix the motor? i saw in my dealer today they had a sale on 27 horse briggs for 850. might as well get a new motor
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a motor, it's an engine.

You're in bad shape getting advice here bud, lots of teenagers and college drop outs and weekend warriors and illegals and what have you,
    the most of them ain't got two years experience and the rest don't know the difference between a motor and an engine, me thinks
    you had better go speak to a qualified professional, a certified mechanic, in your case I'd get a second opinion from another dealer.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

what brand of engine is in the jd??
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Wheel motor should be $400ish I would think. Pull it off and flush the system and replace it yourself. As for the pan seal if its not leaking bad just check the oil each time you use it and top it off. Would be much cheaper than buying a new mower. Or at least with it fixed you could sell it and get some money out of it with those low hours.

P.S. A new Gravely 160Z runs about $7200 new.
  8. jtruck618

jtruck618 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Dealer says the wheel motor cost around $770 and the pump $800+. Does the pump have to be changed too? I hate to scrap this thing but $2300 is a lot to put into something with no guarantee it might cost me more with aother breakdown. It is a Kawaski engine, 23 horse. Where can I find a wheel motor for a JD? I looked around with no luck. Some place other than the dealer? Thanks for the Gravely recomendation. I see Ferris makes a nice mower, IS 1500, for a decent price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites for president.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Hes blowing smoke up your ass if he told you a hydro pump costs him 800+ i bought one for my 08 lazer for like 300 out the door.