big mistake

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by oakhillslandscaping, Jun 24, 2008.

1. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well i made a rookie mistake a few days ago and didnt realize it until it rained but im glad it happened before i finished the whole patio what happened: during the construction of a 20 by 20 radom patern patio there were sono tubes installed so that concrete could be poored and pinic tables could be tied down well unfortunetly i miscalculated the structure of the soil and even though it was compacted it was to full of clay and not enough rock and we got 3 inches of rain and when i returned the next day all four sono tubes were caved in on themselves took myself and my partner 4 days to prep and lay and only 8 hours of rain to wash it all away luckily i fixed it unfortunitly it took me all day comments are more then welcome here are some pics of the damage and the fix thanks and sorry for the story haha

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

You should have used water during the install to help with compaction.

Why didn't you pour the tubes before install anyway?

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

why would you compact against empty tubes...they are only cardboard

4. oakhillslandscaping

i really have no legit reason why i didnt poor the tubes first we just didnt and im kinda glad we didnt cause the soil still would have moved cause it was crummy clay. compacting around an empty sonotube doesnt really bother it and filling after its compacted works just as well if the sun stayed out longer today i would have gotten to it

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i think you should have poured then laid patio

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

the picture with the shovel in the hole, you had to dig them all back out and then reinstall the tubes?

7. oakhillslandscaping

regardless of pooring them first the ground were the holes were was not back filled with quality material hence why i made the rookie mistake i poored the tubes today and finished the patio and it came out not bad especially cause i hate random patterns i will post pics of the finish tomorow
    Ramairfreak98ss yes i had to dig all the bad clay soil out and backfill the whole with better soil however i dug them with a mini ex not by hand

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not fill with clean stone?

9. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i agree with musclecarboy, u should have backfilled with stone and compacted. now i wouldnt be suprised if the soil u put back into the whole settles out.

10. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What was your base prep? Soil quality aside, a proper base prep should leave you with no problems, although empty cardboard tubes in heavy rain is an entirely different problem.