Big mowers on residential lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accentlc, Aug 26, 2001.

1. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I got a call from a guy a couple of days ago that was complaining about his LCO using a big mower on his lawn. I went and took a look at it. It must be a 36" something because he has a fairly narrow gate into the back yard.

Do many of you guys use 52" and 60" wbs or Zs on residential work? Do you have problems with complaints? Thanks for the imput.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

As long as the lawn is relatively flat,and free of undulations,my 60" Dixie will do just as good a job as the 21".i do my inlaws 9k lawn with it,and I think its the best looking lawn on the block.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use my 60 inch lazer on all my residentials. i think it does less damage then my walkbehind. i havent had any complaints. if you switch mowing directions every week you wont end up with ruts

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have a 60" Lazer and 21" push mower. Everything gets cut with the Lazer or I won't take the job.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We had a lawn that was under 10k sq.ft. on a commercial lot. It was a straight strip all open, so we used the rider. There was another < 10K sq. ft. lawn that we used a 22" because the time it took to tippy toe around obstacles with the rider or 48" WB was killing the productivity time and it was faster using the 22".

I wouldn't go "looking" for jobs like those though.

AND I WOULD NEVER EVER..... stop using my large mower on a lawn and use a 22"er just because of a complaint. I would have to see damage being caused, then I may consider it.

6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

mdb
    just said it
    i to do less damage with a ztr compared to a walk behind. 61"chariot and weedeater is all i need for my lawns to cut with
    used to use a 21"to trim with (wasted time) and the walk behind got stolden (best thing that happen )i didnt need it another waste of time for my lawns .
    most people will come out and say they wished they had a mower like mine .never had a customer complain about size all are residential dont have any small gates most are1/4 ac and larger

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been looking at new ztr's. My problem is some of my properties are half slopes and half flat. What do you guys nomally do in this case? Wb on slopes and then ztr on flats areas? Is it a hassle to have to load and unload two machines? I currently use only wb's because they can go almost anywhere. Only one machine to deal with. Load and unload once. I've seen guys on ztr's trying to do these postage stamp yards. Looks like it would be much quicker with a wb. Don't get me wrong I would like to have a ztr. I'm just wondering how you guys handle this. Sorry if I got alittle off subject.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

TJLC,I wont take a lawn that I cant hold the side hill with my 60"Dixie on.To be honest,it holds the side hills good for a ZTR,I know a wb can hold them better,but i really dont need work that badIf i could go straight up and down the Dixie will do great up hill,but on the way back down,it can get hairy if its real steep,and the rear tires can scuff as you try to keep from flying to the bottom.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only time I don't use my 60" is when there are steep slopes or narrow gates. That accounts for 5 out of 38 accounts in total.

10. TJLC- it all depends on how many people are in the crew, and what kind of Sq. footage you are looking at for the property. If you have 3 guys, one takes the walk behind, another goes with the Z another goes with the trimmer. I have one place like this right now. The front I would never in a million years take Z on, because even w/b's slide going across. The back however, is not a problem for a Z. Property is 1 1/2 acres of cutting. So again, crew size / property size.