1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big mulch job requested...not sure

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jonnyz37, Apr 9, 2014.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

$60/yard on the mulch? Good grief...

Lowball city.
  2. ozoneburner

ozoneburner LawnSite Member

ZTR 655
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

lowball huh? 2 things for you to consider......1st my mulch only costs $15 per yard from a local producer. 2nd even at $60 per yard quotes (mine actually range from 50 to 68 depending on size and difficulty in getting to the work areas), i only get about 1 in 4 jobs quoted. I guess in central ky, asking for $60 per yard installed is asking to much? I still make decent money, i just dont get enough jobs.
  4. Scott@CPS

Scott@CPS LawnSite Member

That could be due to poor sales strategy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Agree to the job. Go 2 days before you start and have your guys weed-eat all the beds, then do an overspray of round-up over the entire area to be mulched. Give the Roundup 2 days to kill the weed systems, then mulch over the area. Take a picture, get your check, be done with it.

You're wasting your time and your clients money with landscape fabric. The fabric does NOT do what people imagine it doing. We just installed 180 yards of mulch, not a single piece of landscape fabric.

Never allow your customers to dictate to you how the job is done. YOU are supposed to be the professional. It's your company, you do the work according to generally accepted best practices. Most of the time, clients have stupid/incorrect ideas how to do the work anyway. That's why their yard needs help in the first place.

The way I said above is the minimal prep, easiest for you, most economical for the client. There's no way the job will look good for years to come, unless you maintain the beds and keep coming back and installing mulch every 6-9 months. That's just the facts of landscaping.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Spray round up then weed up. Not weed eat then round up
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think your price is a little low, 400 for weed fabric and roundup for an area that needs 35 yards of mulch? Id say that will be close to that just to buy the stuff. I would say 2400 for the mulch and then an extra 600 for weed fabric and roundup. and thats only because you said its mostly wide open.

x2 with what was mentioned about about weedwacking it first a couple days before.
  8. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

interesting, Ive always done the opposite. Why do it in that order? Is it so you dont spread the seeds and stuff that havent been killed yet? Ill start doing it that way this year and see the difference
  9. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Passing is always an option.

Your customer is a dangerous cocktail of both cheap and clueless, I never take jobs from these types.