Big name (Exmark,Scag, Toro,etc) 48" belt drive or Lesco 48 hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Feb 23, 2003.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I have been shopping for a 48" belt drive from Exmark, Gravely, Toro, etc. I never really considered a Hydro mostly due to budget reasons, however, I am reconsidering after seeing the price on Lesco's 48" hydro ($3,399 w/17 hp Kawi). The 48" hydros from the other brands above are definately out of my price range. I could swing the Lesco hydro though. I am new to the biz w/ aprox. 13 lawns (3/4 -1.5 acre lots). Should I spend a liitle more and get Lesco's hydro or do I get a belt drive from one of the more name brand companies? Thanks....Kevin

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

With that size of yards you need a ZTR. Has you said you have to start some were. The lesco would be a good start.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Others here will argue with me until they're blue in the face over the Lesco mowers but I'm a firm believer in the old saying:

"You get what you pay for"

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Kevin,
    Belt drives work just fine. Toro 's belt drive fixed deck 48" with the T-Bar should run you about $2500. It's a great machine and name brand behind it for the price. There's a guy in Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo area) that was selling them for $2350 in the crate unassembled. I think the dealer's name is Saville Outdoor Power Equipment. Shipping should be around $150. By the time you will want a hydro, you'll probably make the jump to a z rider anyway.

Mike

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

"You get what you pay for"

That means your gonna get a great machine in Lesco. We have three a 5yr old 48inch 17 kaw hydro and 2 yr old Viper 48 and a 5 month old 52inch 19 hp. Parts are cheap and easy to repair. You cant go wrong thats for sure.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always owned and used Exmark mowers. I did demo a Lesco 48" hydro for about 3 days. I thought for the price it would be a very good backup machine but not for everyday use, IMHO. There were just some things I felt they needed to improve upon. After using Exmark it's kinda hard to step down, so to speak. This is not a knock against Lesco by any means it's just MHO.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Kevin,
    As you can see, you're going to get information that's very bias, instead of correct. With all the different answers you are getting, an intelligent guy like yourself should begin to realize these guy's can't "ALL" be right. That's scary, since they're all supposed to be professionals and know what they're talking about. So, take most of the answers with a grain of salt and realize the mentality of most LCO's. I'd go find a local LCO, that does his own mowing, and talk to him. Oh, and make sure he can "walk and chew gum at the same", if you know what I mean:p
    Good luck,
    Pete

8. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

What if his local LCO neighbor just happens to post on LS? Does that make his opinion less credible? If you don't post on LS, then they must knwo what their talk'n about...

9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

KBW, I thought I would put my 2 cents in. We bought that same mower from Lesco last year, and it has been great, especially considering the price. This mower was my first hydro walkbehind and it is great especially since it is so easy to go in reverse, and the sulky you can get for it is great because you can back up while you are standing on it which I dont think you can with many others. The only problem we had is that there is no center roller so it was scalping lawns a lot, we fixed that by putting a roller on it and now the problem is solved, you might want to see if they can put one on for you because it will prob cost a couple hundred bucks to have something fabricated, that is unless you know how to weld. One other problem is thatthe bushings on the front caster wheels wear out fairly quick (125 hrs or so with us) and have to be replaced which is easy and inexpensive. Has anyone else with a Lesco had these problems. Hope I was able to help.

10. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

NO, everyone can't be right. NO, you can't always seperate a true opinion from brand favoritism. No, not everyone here is going to give an unbiased, useful opinion when it comes to brand names. All you can do is ask what experience people have had with a piece of equipment, right? Not what your buddy has to say about them, not what your dentist's sisters' landscaper has to say about them, etc...etc...etc. If you have no experience with the equipment in question, then you can not possibly offer a useful opinion. THAT seems to be where most pi@#ing contests start, here. Switchless made sense, except that a local guy will shoot you a line just as quick if not quicker than someone here will. I can tell you that I HAVE used the Lesco machines for several years now, with no, I repeat NO problems. They have been great machines, reliable, cut and stripe very well, and yes I would buy them all over again. Same engines and transmissions used as with EVERY OTHER well made walk behind on the market. Good customer service and reasonable parts/filters/etc.
    At 2100 bucks for a 48-inch 15hp kawi v-twin, it's kinda hard to beat. Small time dealers(and their support) come and go, but there will always be a Lesco store nearby.