1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big noob

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MeadowsLawnCare, Jun 20, 2007.

1. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

So this is for my personal lawn and to save time. I have terriable sandy soil and its a pita to keep watered so I want to install an irrigation system. Nothing fancy, no timer just direct line to the hose. I have an assload of 3/4 inch pvc pipe. I found some cheapo heads for like $15 a peice at one of my local stores. (dont know the names of them) Basically what im planning on doing is running a few different zones and getting one of the splitter ends with valvles to hook up to my water so i can run one zone at a time. The heads i was looking at say they go 10-15 feet each. Therefore i would need a head minimum 10 feet apart. How many heads can I fit on each line before I loose enough pressure in the last head to have it no operate correctly? I belive the size of line to the head was 1/2 inch, so i would be cutting the 3/4 down to 1/2 at the head. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. This is not a good place to ask "How can I put a crappy system in that works?"
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, it is a GREAT place to ask in the off season. I'm to tired to have fun with it this time of year!
  4. Maybe you can file this for an idle mean winter moment.
  5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I second the motion to table till winter.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need to find out what your pressure is, what type of sprinklers they are, what nozzle they're using and then look at their performance charts and correlate that with the type/size of pipe you're using versus its 5'/second friction loss charts.

Go here: http://irrigationtutorials.com/

He'll have more "in season" patience.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

"Jeez, I've never heard of this site..maybe I can learn" (click) aghhhhhhhhhh!
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Oop, nevermind. I thought the title said "Big Boob."