Big 'ol American Lawns!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutntrim, Sep 9, 2001.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Reading about the property sizes you guys south of the 49th parallel cut amazes me. I routinely read about your 50,000ft and up residential lawns. A lot of you give your customers lawn sizes in number of acres and not square feet!

80% of the Canadian population lives within 200km of the U.S. border and the Golden Horseshoe region of Ontario (where I am) is the most densely populated in the country. We've got subdivisions here of $300,000+ homes on 2,500sq.ft. lots. That's LOT size mind you, not turf area.

Our average residential home has around 4,000ft of grass, I can only dream of cutting properties like a lot of you have. Who needs commercial clients when your residentials have more grass than do major corporations and shopping malls up here?!?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well learned something . i would have thought it was the other way around.Canadas a big place

3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My lawn is about 15,000 sq feet. my house is close to 4,000sq feet, and it is only worth like ($230,000 maybe more or less forgot last apraisal figure). How do u make money? I mean can u charge for lawns that small?

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

of my clients lawns are larger than mine, like 18,000 sq feet. And thoes aren't even large lawns. Do you use anything bigger than a 21" or 36" mower? I bet all you need is weed whip a.k.a. trimmer.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Now I know why they use 21" mowers up there. Their trailers are bigger than the lawns. We do have some small lawns around here, but I do not target them.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

We have all different sized lawns around here, my smallest lawn is about 1000 sq ft and my biggest is about 2.5 acres. The other company I work with has one residential that is 17 acres.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Heck, we have snow 14 months a year here fellas..

We service properties from 2500 sq ft to our biggest at about 4 acres. Any bigger and they usually have their own equipment or people to do it.
    It all depends on where you go, we have big and we have small, the same as you guys.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

In the city we have small lawn (wouldnt even register on sqft) to out personal lawn at 15,000sqft located in Maine. We maintain residential homes from 2k to condos at 200,000plus sqft. Try add ons for your customers to make up the difference, trees, flower beds fences and other profitable methods. Thats where alot of companies make there biggest $$$$ is add ons!

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The bigger the lawn, the cheaper the customer is at paying. Out of 42 mowing accounts, I have 10 that are from 1 1/2 to 3 acres in size.

Gene

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I will totally back that last statement up. I find that the guys with big lawns will not pay as much for their lawn to get cut. It just costs too much a month for people around here. I thought I could make money with a bigger mower, hitting the larger properties, but for what you get paid per week, it just isn't enough. My 1 1/2 lawn pays $50 a cut. Yeah, I know, a little on the cheap side, but these people just won't pay. Sounds cheap for a weekly cut, but $200 a month for these people is just too much, so they don't hire you.