BIG open lawns, how hard to find?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

How hard is it for you to find big open lawns. I mean as in 5 acres or more?

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

easy here in North East Texas that is 90 % of our business

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

In 3 years have only gotten a handful of 3 acres and over. When I'm driving to those lawns out in the country it is incredible the number of women, even elderly women, you see on big box riding mowers doing the mowing. I assume while their husband is working.

When you consider they can spend $1500, even less, and recoup it very fast as compared to hiring someone, it is not surprising.

What I have noticed is that they don't trim, and every tree gets a big weed and brush halo around it, and every fenceline becomes a treeline. Looks terrible to me, but must not bother them.

Yup, wish it was otherwise, but that is what I been seeing around here.

4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Those are the kind of lawns that everbody wants, at least in my opinion! And yes they are hard to find, and if you do find them, RARELY do you get paid what they are actually worth.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

not to be funny, why would you want one if you dont get paid what is it worth. the crappy $35 lawns are quicker, easier, less mess, complaints, in and out in less than 10min as opposed to $60-85 lawns taht take almost an hour.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We cut a few bigger lawns but are trying to replace them with smaller ones when we can. The bigger ones are a nice mix to get a rest between small ones but don't pay as well. Jay Ray is right about the bigger properties being cut by wives with big riders around here as well. We have gotten some work from these customers but very seldom get the regular grass cutting. They will hire us for special events like weddings or picnics on the property. We have a couple that we just do the monthly roundup and string trim every few weeks or so. We make almost as much money doing the touchups and spraying as we would for regular mowing so it's not all bad. No one wants to pay $100 a week for grass cutting. Either the wife does it or they hire a kid to run their mower and pay him a couple of dollars.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Smaller lawns pay more......

8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Daricek I think that you were prob. thinking that I mow large areas for nothing myself.....................WRONG! We do mow large areas for what they should be and there are some that people want us to mow for there price, and I just drive right on by! I will NOT do a job unless I get what I think it is worth! I have always walked away from people who tried to convince me to do there large lawns. I know what my costs are and my time and I will walk in a heart beat. I am one that even if its a job that I would enjoy doing I'll walk if its not the right price. But I think that alot of people if they see wide flat out mowing they will jump on it in a heart beat! I was just saying everybody wants them including me! But I cant loose money on a job that I dont have!

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I love big properties. One unload - mow and trim 22 acres in 3.5 hrs. make $500 - It would take 14 or 15 of your $35 yards to do the same. Can you travel - load and unload - and mow that many yards in 3.5 hrs?

10. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

"Why would I want to mow a BIG lawn?"
    Because I want to test out a prototype mower.