Big Planting Bid Needed Any Info

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RSK2, Jan 25, 2006.

1. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hi Guy's
    I have a big landscaping bid can any one help me with this?

this is the plants

deciduous

331 red sunset red maple 2" cal

121 sugar maple 2" cal

evergreen

193 eastern white pine 6-7 ft

741 Canadian hemlock 6-7 ft

122 blue rug junipers

45 china girl holly

13 china boy holly

21 burning bush

do any one know any wear in pa you can get that many plants
    how much would you charge to plant all the plants. thanks :waving:

2. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

What are you planting, a nursery? I hope you have a good sized crew that is a lot of plant material. With that much material you are going to have to use a decent sized grower. I would look at some the growers in the northwest for the conifers. You might want to look at bare root stock for anything under two inches.

3. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

this is for a new plaza i have a 15 man crew i can get 10 more if i need it

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I would call up the biggest nursery around and talk with the owner. with an order that large you will get some a serious discount, especially if you can afford to do it with CASH.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can't help you tell you know what you are going to have to pay for the plants.That is alot of material..
    I would try and get money up front for an order like that no use in you getting stuck with holding the bag on that amount of material.Get on the phone and start calling growers in your state.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with Shemin Nurseries (not sure of the #) They have several locations in PA....Oaks, PA and a couple others.

Chris

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd see if there can be an allowance for substitute trees in case some are unavailable.

When I prepare landscape designs, I frequently list a substitute tree option for certain trees so an installer and property owner have a choice.

8. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

RSK2,

How many installations have you done prior to this one? I ask because with your 15 man crew, I'd think you'd have a general idea.

Are you asking as "how close to cut it" on this large of an install percentage wise to be competitive?

Mike
    La. Landscap[e Contractor #2576

9. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Just a couple of questions to think about

Are the Plants being put into established beds,or is part of the job design and creation?

Do you have the equipment to handle the job or will you need to rent it?

Is water ready and available or will you use a water tank ?

Is there a lead time that the nursery may need to obtain the numbers of trees?

10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

That'a one BIG job:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
    It might be better to team up with someone you know in the landscape side of this business and split the profits.
    Don't let the $$$ get in the way of making the right decision. Sometimes you need to realize your limitations- this may be one.
    I brought on another landscaper last year on a larger account- we both walked away very happy and tired. He brought a lot of knowledge that I didn't have to the table- worth every penny!

Good luck,

kc