1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big Plow trucks

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by firedog, Jun 27, 2000.

1. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

Does any one plow with a 6 wheeler? I'm looking into a Ford L-9000, Good / Bad things? It got a 14 or 15' dump body on it. The only down fall is its a 9 spd. I've never plowed with something that big the biggest is my single axle IH dumps. Any help?<p>----------<br>Rob S.<br>
  2. snow

snow Guest

I know Geoff and John do. a 6 wheeler with a 14 or 15 foot body seems a little big to me.<br>Questions-<br>is it diesel?<br>who has been using it?<br>price?<br>miles?<br>condition?<br>does it have plow/sander?<p>Bryan<br><p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;
  3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have 2 Ford L 9000 tri axels. They do not plow or sand, the reason is they are just too big, even on a big lot, they don't turn tight enough and there is always a few stay cars in a lot. The L 9000s get used for snow hauling in the winter. An L 9000 with only one axel in the rear would be a good plow truck for roads, not sure about lots.<p>Now this year i will have 2 F650s to plow with these are great plow trucks. For Lots and Private roads. I may add a F 750 or another F 650 this year too, the plans might be in the works.<p>The F 650s work well in two areas<p>Sanding lots of place do to the higher amount of sand that can be carried.<p>Private roads because of the 10' blade you can do the whole road in 1 or 2 passes<p>Parking lots that are not super wide. <br>That are not really big either.<p>A medium size lot is great for an F 650, especially if you have a lot that are spread out.<p>A loader and pusher are faster ( i am working on building 2 more pull plows and a pusher right now). Only if the lots are spread out the F 650 or 750 might be a better choice.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Geoff
  4. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Got a friend who plows with a Kodiak for plazas, and F350 V blades for everthing else.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good for roads/highways/airport plowing or snow hauling. Big nvestment for just winter work though, can you use it during the off season? Stupid question, let me rephrase that. (of course anyone can use it) Do you have work for the truck while its not plowing? You could always sub it out during the summer for hauling. Good Luck with your decision. If you were asking about parking lots I'd frown on the idea though.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  6. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

We use 2 international 6 wheelers to do the ring roads at large shopping centers and they work well.If you have small lots these trucks are very difficult to work with due to poor turning radius and visibility.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
  7. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, yes it's big, I am going to stay with smaller single axle dumps I think. At least for now. <p>----------<br>Rob S.<br>
  8. Schmity

Schmity LawnSite Member

I would suggest using a snowpusher we use<br>at 12' pusher and it does 10 times the amount that our F800 with a 10' plow does. We easily road it in between 4 large lots and just stay off any main roads with it. We love the snowpusher and have had excellent backup from Pro-Tech the manufactor.<br> <p>----------<br>Jason Schmidt<br>