Big problem with my gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassWorx, May 28, 2001.

1. GrassWorx

GrassWorx LawnSite Member

I am very happy with the performance of the lawnmower but i can't seem to get parts for it. My dealer said that he would order all the general maintance parts when i bought it but now he can't seem to get them. I called another gravely dealer but he doesn't sell the gravely with a wisconsin robins engine.But he said he will try to get the air and oil filters. He also let me talk to his mechanic who told me that if i go over 70 hours with out a oil change my engine will burn up. I am at 72 hours and I have alot of grass to cut.
    so my questions is do any of u know where i can buy the parts off the net. i have emailed gravely but they have not responded.
    my lawnmower is a gravely 260z with a 22hp robins engine. i started ordering these parts when i bought it the dealer told me he would have the parts over night if i needed them.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I could be wrong but I think the Robin engine is a Subaru engine and not a Wisconsin.

There is nothing in the world keeping you from doing a oil change. Just don't change the filter. You also do not need to use the factory oil filter. Most auto parts stores have cross-over charts for oil filters. Just take your old oil filter to the auto parts store and ask them to cross reference it for you.

Another little known fact about oil filters is that most of them are perfectly capable of filtering oil for considerably longer than the factory recommendations. To check the filter just start and run the engine until it is hot. Then feel the oil filter at the bottom and see if it is hot. If it is then the filter is fine, if it is not then the filter needs to be changed.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

this reminds me of a conversation I had with my step-father a few months ago.

He is a member of SCORE, a organization that consists of retired business executives who give out free information and help to future small businesses.

He's always coming to me asking about landscaping because he has a LOT of guys coming to him with future landscape business plans.

One day, he mentioned to me about a local small engine shop (they bascially sold honda ATVS, generators, chainsaws, and other misc. items) that was thinking about carrying this new gravely 'professional line' of equipment.

He thought, with the great influx of landscapers and the huge boom in our business, that this guy couldn't lose. Then I told him to take a look around and see what kind of competition this store would have. In our area, we have about 2 dealers, and I would take a guess that 90% of our contractors go to them. They carry exmark, bobcat, walker, encore, and toro.

I told him, that if this guy wants to start a business, then first, and foremost, he better be able to SERVICE his equipment. The other dealers in are area are absolutely on the ball.....something breaks, they fix it, you need a air filter...they have it, and so on.

Then I told him about an experience I had a few years ago when my friend needed a oil filter for his honda quad that the guy sold him. Walking into the place, one had to bat the cobwebs away. No inventory, no computer for parts, and basically no clue on where to get it. I said, this guy may get a few guys to buy a mower or two off of him, but if he wants to establish a bussiness, then he's gonna have to step his service up way past the point it is at now. My step-father looked at me funny, and then admitted that the guy didn't seem to be 'all there' when he came in. Sure enough, there is no gravely dealer in our town yet.

I think this is the problem with a lot of these new mower manufacturers. They may sell a good product, and the mower you have may outlast everyone else's, but the fact is there is just no customer service yet, and the market is just running out of room for all of these new companies. Look in the trade magazines, and there has literally been 'a gazillion' new companies producing commercial mowers.

My best advice is trade it now, go to the shop that everyone else goes too, and buy a mower that you can get parts for.

steveair

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

steveair wrote:

<b><i>I think this is the problem with a lot of these new mower manufacturers. They may sell a good product, and the mower you have may outlast everyone else's, but the fact is there is just no customer service yet, and the market is just running out of room for all of these new companies. Look in the trade magazines, and there has literally been 'a gazillion' new companies producing commercial mowers.</b></i>

Gravely is hardly a <i>new</i> mower manufacturer. A lot of the "old timers" here at Lawnsite know how I feel about Gravely mowers and it's not a good opinion. But, I do need to give Gravely credit where credit is due and that is that Gravely have been building mowers since about the beginning of time. Gravely has been around since before Scag, Exmark, and a whole ton of other manufacturers even dreamed of building mowers.

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry,

No bad feeling meant specifically at gravely. However, their line of 'commercial mowers' are rather new, and I believe, like many other manufactures out there, they need to make sure they can keep up with the demands of the 'professional' rather than the typical homeowner that they have marketed too in the past.

steveair.

6. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

i cant help you on the dealer ship but i will tell you that my 260z has gone well over 70 hours without an oil change and it hasnt had a problem!!

7. GrassWorx

thanks for the info now i am a lot less worried about my mower burning up.

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Are you still running the original oil that came in it? It is supposed to be changed by the first 5-10 hours, (most engines) because of a lot of wear from the break-in period, a lot of aluminum sludge, etc. can build up.
    CHANGE YOUR OIL AND FILTER SOON IF IT'S THE ORIGINAL OIL!!!

9. GrassWorx

hey i went to gravely.com and found dealer locations. I must have called about 10 dealers and i finally got a dealer that had the filters in stock i went ahead and got 2 of them in the mail.
    Yes i have changed the oil just not the filter.
    thanks again
    GrassWorx

10. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

I think Gravely was 1911. Ariens was 1930's. I'd have to look to make sure though and right now I am not motivated to do so.

The PRO Gear walkbehinds (12 years old by the way) were excellent at that time. They are reasonably durable. They are a teensy-weensey bit out-dated for the commercial user.

The 260Z is a more modern design than most of the ZTR's out there. The quality of cut is as good as any out there (I am not sure in Bahia though).

However, you are 100% correct with regards to dealers. You should purchase your equipment from service obsessed dealers to make sure you have as much up-time as possible.

Personally, if I were to start a lawn care business I would investigate the dealer extensively. This, I think, is the most important thing.

Barry
    Gravely Engineer

PS
    Richard - I haven't forgotten. I got tied up in demo's in St. Louis