1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big question needs big answer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Im currently running a dixie chopper ztr and am considering switching over to a scag ztr, because there is no doubt that the scag has a dang near perfect cut. The dixie chopper just doesnt leave that "precision" cut look. Here is the problem. The dixie chopper dealer is a class act that will go out of his way to fix anything wrong with the mower. He is a small dealer that i have gotten to know quite well over the years. He is about 5 minutes from my house but in the opposite direction of all my routes, and he is the only dixie dealer in the area. On the other hand, there is 3 scag dealers within minutes of all of my routes. One has good service though you seem to wait in line about 20 minutes before you get helped, and the other two are pretty good, and they all have a huge inventory of spare parts in stock. Still none of them know me as well as the "small" dixie dealer, and it is not on as much a personal type level. Scag is the better mower without a doubt, i mean you cant beat the cut, compared to the dixie chopper. The dilemma is not which machine is better, but rather sacrificing the small dealer with big service, for the big dealers with small service. I wish the dixie dealer sold scags, then there wouldnt be a problem here. Oh well, its like the saying goes, "you can wish in one hand and cr*p in the other, and see which one gets filled first". So what would you guys do???????
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My Dixie delivers a near perfect cut. Are you using the x-blades and is your deck pitch set properly? I would figure out why your Dixie isn't cutting right and fix it, you will miss the VTC and the torque of the Generac engine.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I went through a similar delima myself...

I was NOT getting anywhere near they level of service from anyone locally that you seem to be getting. So I didn't have that part to weigh out. But I did continue to rationalize that I should support my local economy by spending money with the local privately/family owned equipment dealers.

But their came a point when I realized their lack of service and equipment was killing me slowly. I came to the conclusion that I also had a business to run that needed supporting with quality equipment AND service.

So as much as I hated to take my money elsewhere, that's what I did.
    So far it's proved to be one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

Basically, I think both the product and service need to be top notch.
    Otherwise you are left lacking somewhere.

Which of the two that ends up costing you the most money in the end just depends on how the chips fall though. I've had a combo of really crappy equipment and crappy service. Very reliable, so-so cutting equipment with much better service. Both have cost me a lot of money. But without a doubt, the first cost me the most money and personal grief. But I really didn't have a full realization of just how much the second situation was costing me until I made the decision I did.

I added the Lesco Z Two this year, which is proving to be a great piece of equipment with great service so far. The every-stop cut quality is resulting in a great deal more productivity, reduced job time and reduced wear, tear and operating expense. It's like having a giant weight taken off my shoulders. What a relief....
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Envy, not trying to be anything to you, but those Z-2 kind a scary to me. I am surprised to see nuts & bolts everywhere! What on earth, a machine has so many nuts & bolts on it! I am shopping for a Z as well, but I look hard at Hustler super Z or super mini. Any comments? Tryin to find a low low hours unit first, it might take a while but I am cool and take my time.
  5. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Its not like im having a problem with the dixie not cuting right. It is cutting just fine, for a dixie chopper. Have you really ever compared a scag cut to a chopper cut?? There is no comparison.I have a scag wb, and have a daily comparison to look at. You might think your chopper is cutting great, but once you see what a scag cut looks like you'll soon realize your choppers cut is not so fantastic. And yes i always check my deck pitch, and currrently im running doubles. Stock blades on bottom, and gators on top. On my scag im running high lifts only, and have no need for doubles.
  6. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

if i had a dixie i would shave its a-zzz and make it mow backwards.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Oh hey... been meaning to get back with you on that...
    I basically had the same thought process as you for a long time.
    I also tried to bring this issue up with owners, but got no response.
    I understand why they never answered now, but I'm trying not to mirror that.

I posted about the bolts elsewhere. So let me see if I can find that again instead of re-typing all that....
  8. Envy Lawn Service

OK, this quote is a little out of context here as it was a reply to someone else...
    But here it is anyway...

The long and short of that is, yes there are a lot of visible bolts on the Z-Two, and those concerned me a little when I saw them. It ended up taking me years to take the pluge on a Lesco and in that time I learned a lot about mower construction and about the Lesco machine itself.

Once I saw what the stresses of welding could do to metal, and after realizing the eXmark Z's main frame bolted together in a structural location... front section/carrier frame bolts onto the rear section/power frame.

So I looked more in depth on the Lesco and found it's visual bolts were non-structural.... they were used to attach removeable panels, ect, to the one piece main frame.

After owning the mower a couple of months, I've learned I actually like the bolts. They don't vibrate loose or anything, and some day way in the future, I will probably be glad some of these covers and panels are removeable for access, ect.
  9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen someone choose a scag over a dixie, and I've also never heard anyone say they give a perfect cut. But I can't vouch for either one because I've never operated either.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Lesco price is so attractive, a 54" Z for 6k while the eXmark hp 52" is almost 8k, and Hustler Super Z 52/27 koh about $7600, so I am spending time shopping for a low hour unit in ad paper. I am very sure I am going Hustler way if I can find a low hr unit. Keep us informed on your Lesco Z2.
    best regards,