1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big residentials vs Small residetials profitability?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jul 30, 2006.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

How do some of you all feel about big residentials vs small residentials. I am just wondering if it is me. I have been consistantly been getting rid of my bigger residentials. I find in my area I can do alot of small residentials in 8 to 10 minutes trimming weeding and all with a 2 man crew and make 30 t0 35 $ per visit using a hydro WB and when I do big residentials using the Super I do not get the same per hour not even close. I will go to a big one and say get 75$ and 2 guys need to spend 45 minutes of really busting butt. 10 times the grass 6 times the shrubs 6 times the area to weed but only 2 to if you are lucky 3 times the money.

I know you lose alot on drive time on the smaller ones but if you line them up in a row it seems like they are more profitable by far than any accounts.

I can get the big commercail to pay the going rate but have problems on big residential it seems like. I have come to the conclusion that alot of these big home owner people never took into consideration when they bought that the lawn was going to be expensive to take care of ?
  2. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I charge the same hourly rate, wether it be for a 20 minute job or a 60 minute job. I try to pull $50-$60 per hour from the time I leave the house till the time I get home. I might get crap for this, but by average lawn goes for around $22.00. I do on average 3 of them an hour and that includes drive time. Almost all my work is 5 minutes or less from my home. An average day I knock out 18-20 of them a day. I like the large lots, as long as there is not too much trimming involved.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I like the large lots to but cannot get them to pay the same. I can make 50$ an hour on large lawns but on small lawns I can make 90 or 100.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

For me the smaller city lots are the most profitable. I can make up to about $100 an hour on the smaller lots because I can use my 60" mower on it.
  5. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Smaller is usually more profitable for us, only because we have equipment consumuate with those jobs. If we had a 72 inch ZTR I'm sure it would bump up the profit on larger properties.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've been saying for years there is a higher net profit % in the smaller lawns over the larger ones.
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right, we have over 900 combined accounts. About 700, give or take a few, are stamps located in the city. For residential, the profit margins are superior on the city stamps.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You really never think of Iowa as a place with the small lots like you describe. You must be in a fairly urban area, not the miles of cornfields and open spaces I have seen. Sounds like a good business practice.
  9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I'm in a highly populated urban area. Its not all corn fields:laugh: :laugh:
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Realslow, in my area the smaller are much more profitable than large ones. As I have posted before, the threshold of pain here in around 45-50 bucks. I dont care if the yard is 1/4 acre or 5 acres when you get past 50 bucks the homeowner acts like you slapped them. I have dumped or lost all my big ones and do not want another one because they are not worth it.