Big roll sod installers?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Bigred350, May 30, 2007.

1. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I need some info on the Big roll sod installers. What brand do you have? Does it work good? Price? Where did you get it?

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

My guy uses one where he sits on it .. almost like a little mini tractor its got ruber tracks.. he calmps on to the rolls two side by side and rolls them out.. ive seen him sod 5,000 sgft in an hrs time .. hes fast but thats his living and in ny with winters when its nice you work sun up to sun down usually... ill ask him some more info about it.. I know its red and black. he usually caries it on his semi with the sod and lifts it off with his spider lift.

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if you are looking to just roll out sod or might need something to dress up the area first. Skid steers and compact track loaders can handle a lot of stuff like this with attachments. I did one sod job this Spring but it's not my usual line of work.

I already own a Bobcat; I rented an attachment from the local Bobcat dealer. Fit on my T-190 and should attach to just about any skid steer. It used aux hydraulics to clamp onto the rolls. (Didn't have to get out of the machine) The paper rolls the sod came rolled up on were too weak after sitting overnight, so I would recommend buying sod rolled on PVC or rolling it out right away before the moisture weakens the cardboard / paper tubes. I would also recommend a machine rated more than 1900 pounds! Those rolls were as heavy as that machine wanted to lift; I didn't have good control over them when they were full. Whatever brand skid steer you might use, get a large frame machine rated at 2500 pounds or more. I think it worked okay overall; with experience I think the job would have gone smoother but like I said, not my usual line of work.

Skid Steer / CTL / MTL prices vary. You can find a decent used one starting around 20 grand; you can spend pretty much as much as you want up to 70 grand or more on a top-of-the-line new large frame machine.

Sod attachment was only 75 - 100 bucks to rent. I think to buy it new was 2-3 grand.

4. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson LawnSite Member

I rented a sod installer that fit on a skidsteer from my local sod farm to try as an experiment. It worked pretty well, except the skid was too heavy and caused tire ruts in the lawn areas, so I came up with my own design. I made it to fit on the 3 point of my compact tractor, and with it's larger turf type tires, it floats along the ground nicely. I found that laying the rolls while backing up works the best, and my first lawn I tried it on, (10,600 sq.ft.) I completed in an afternoon with only myself and 1 helper. I made the sod layer out of channel iron, and use a pipe through the center of the rolls, kinda like a giant toilet paper dispenser. It was simple to build, I had the materials, and paid a welding shop about 50 buck to weld it together for me. I could try and post some pictures of it if you'd like.

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I have both the 3 point hitch mounted one and a skid steer one. I was looking for info and a actual machine. Thanks for the help though.

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just up there an hour ago and the Bobcat dealer in Huntsville has a Bobcat branded one which he could probably make you a good deal on. I can ask him about it if you'd like; it's a rainy day today anyway.

It is a pretty well-thought-out attachment. It brakes the spindles when the load is off the ground, so you won't unravel the roll until you're ready, and if you get too much slack in the strip of sod, you can lift up a little and it will tug the slack out. You can pick up rolls without getting out of the cab, so your operator will stay pretty productive. Just make sure you have a heavier machine. My medium-sized machine did the work but it didn't like picking up that much weight.

7. Hiwire

Hiwire LawnSite Member

Ive layed a lot of big roll with out 7753 as well as the 7553 bobcats. The only disadvantage with the bigger machine is that it has a wider wheel base and I have to drive on 3 inches of the previous roll. Unless its unusually wet or bigger rolls those sized machines work great. We use an atachment that hangs from pallet forks. The trick is to get all of your prep done well and then offload your sod to an area as close as possible to to where you are sodding. We did a soccer field a few years ago and I was hooking up to the next roll every 3 minutes for a lot of the day. When all is lined up it saves a ton of manpower. We just did a job here in Syracuse a couple weeks ago that had a lot more trimming but still did 2 loads in less than a day with 3 people. I wish we could use all big roll!
    Ray

8. lawncare18

Hiwire.. who you working for in the syracuse area??? You get your sod from sky high?? hes got a nice install machine and is very very fast with it...

9. Hiwire

Hiwire LawnSite Member

I have worked for Evergreen Mart for a little over 23 yrs. Lately we have been so busy with grading and rockhounding that we have Sky High put in our big roll. They unroll it and we trim. We still do the palletized sod ourselves

10. lawncare18

great great people down there.. and i am sure your great to.. parents get all there flowers and plants from there.. you must know george gibs .. you drive the 350 white dump?? I see it go bye a lot .. I am the assistant superitendent at tuscaroura golf club... business busy for you guys?? dusty rockhounding.. sky high are great people to work with to..0