1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Big snake in the yard

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cutman2000, Oct 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Great come back...;)

If you actually knew anything about me you would not have written that first comment...I'll just say this, keep your wife or girlfriend on a short leash.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Kkane97

Kkane97 LawnSite Senior Member

By me there aren't any venomous snakes besides rattlers in the hills above me, I'm young and can be stupid, but when mowing I'll stop to pick up and move it to avoid killing it, there all have a reason to be where they are and I feel I shouldn't mess with that. But dropping an account? A bit extreme to me...

3. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

I with the op i hate snakes. I have assisted with removing them from peoples yards before, but im am always pretty afraid. Any time i see one on my yard or a place im working at they are killed. I know that this may not be the best approach. But i absolutely hate them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Which would you rather have,rats & mice, or snakes? I'll take a snake over rodents any day!

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Rodents carry diseases and harbor fleas and ticks that also tramsmit diseases. While I do not care for snakes... I am not going to kill one or fire a client.

6. jlcrox2

jlcrox2 LawnSite Member

Maybe you could buy a mongoose to keep with you. I can't speak for all of them but that Rikki Tikki Tavi was one bad SOB. .... Or a honey badger. I hear they don't give a sh!t.

Should solve your snake problem.

7. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Jlcrox2 that is a great idea. That might be my next pet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I'm assuming the one I saw was non poisonous. And really,... size does matter.

9. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I would like to add this: This thread was not about me or anyone hating deadly or poisonous snakes. It's about being afraid of snakes, in general. So size would not be a factor at all. I just wanted to know how some of you would handle the situation.

10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    :laugh:

I hate snakes, they can keep the big ones down in the dirty south. I hate basically everything except mammals like dogs, cats (not really), foxes, 'yot-ays (coyotes), wolves, deer, etc. I saw a garder snake in a property of mine that borders a small tree line and then a big prairie area. Damn near jumped out of my work boots! It's one of my favorite accounts and I will certainly not drop it (especially because it's a mile away from home and it's a full service account). I didn't kill it as it wasn't harming me, I believe every animal has its place on Earth for a reason. Even mosquitoes..