Big Strip! (No Blondes :-))

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 13' by 74' strip which I need to water with one zone. My choice is 15 halves and quarters on one side and eight halves in a triangular on the other. I have 1" pipe with 80 psi. This would give me about 13 gpm which is within my comfort zone.

A total of 17 gpm available. I keep my zones in the 12- 13 range whenever possible with this pipe and psi. 15 square nozzles just take too much water by my figuring. I would like to use them if possible but my Norwegian math cannot make it add up!

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

John :rolleyes:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

80 PSI? Why are you running such high pressure?

3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have told the owner that we may have to regulate this pressure if we have a problem with water hammer. He has said that there is no evidence of hammer now. Which I am a bit skeptical of. After the install, we may have to throttle it back if we have a problem. At his expense of course.

Thanks for looking.

John

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen a lot of sloppy installs where a strip was dealt with by a line of full circle heads down the middle. Squares were neater. The advantage of the sloppy mehod was that with a driveway or shrubs or flowers on the edges of the strip, water was tossed into the plantings, and heads weren't run over or plowed up. With today's precise nozzles, one could duplicate yesteryear's sloppiness on a 13' foot wide strip with 8' radius nozzles in a line down the middle of the strip. Of course, if you get paid by the head, and have plenty of water, not much point in saving heads or gpm.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see you staying in 13gpm even using the 8's unless your using 30psi numbers. Either way, why not use 12' nozzles? w/ 15' nozzles, your doing 75' not 74, w/ 12' nozzles, your optimum is 72 instead of 74. Stretching 2' over 5 spacings is easier than compressing 1'. By using 12' instead of 8 and 15 combo's your precip is going to be much more even and it isn't going to cost you more than 1gpm over the 11 head total.

And, 10' nozzles would throw 12' w/ 40 psi in most brands and get you back to around 14gpm.

6. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

I would use the MP-Rotator nozzle in an 1804 body. Much less flow requirement and they work better than sprays, IMO.

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

At triple the per head cost, right? I like the data I'm seeing for the MP rotators, and enough guys are liking them that I think they may be a great solution for 17-25', but using them in an area where standard sprays work is overkill both in cost and design. I read the question to be looking for an economic solution, not a way to make it a money pit.

8. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

I have all but stopped using standard sprays except for strip applications less than 5 foot. The cost of the MP may be a little more but the benefits outweigh the extra cost. For instance, slower watering. Water goes on slower but is allowed to soak in better. Try that with a standard spray, you flood the area with more water than it can handle and then you have run-off. Not very water wise.

Money pit would not be the term I would use. I would use efficiency and performance for this case.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a little curious to know if the MProtators are going to be like Toro's Streamrotors and stop rotating after a few years.

Besides, aside from hard packed clay area's, I've yet to find an area that floods out when properly timed.

To me, MProtators are excellent for fixing other installers screw ups, but I woudn't use them in a new install.

10. I'm moving to Missouri.....

The MP Rotator is what it is....a great little head/nozzle for repairing zones that cannot otherwise be repaired without being completely redone.

In Arizona, I never saw them, but here in Colorado the salesman must have been giving heavy incentives for using them, I have seen them quite a bit. And every time I've seen them, they have been marginally effective at best.

If you are going to water an area that is 17-25 feet with an MP Rotator, why not just use a real rotor? PGJ, PGP, RB5000, RB3500....?

As for putting down water slowly, probably true and maybe effective for that....but does MO really have that much clay???

Just curious.