BIG STUMP removal questions

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by alldayrj, Nov 23, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys,
    dealing with the mess from Sandy still over here, lots of trees to be hauled and uprooted stumps. the little ones I just drive up and pluck out with the skid steer forks, but some of these big ones( trunks 3' to 4' in diameter) have a footprint of around 12'. Even if my machine could lift this, there is no way to get it out between houses then up into a dump truck and out at the dumps safely. The big question, who has handled stumps like this before and how do you do it? pick it clean with a pick then hose it off? cut it into more manageable pieces with a bunch of chainsaw blades? sawzall? roll it out front and slam it into a roll off for someone else to worry about? The skid steer I have is a Gehl 5640, will lift about 3k lbs. various chainsaws, and an international dump.

pics for your pleasure. that is my dad who is 6' tall. The other one is my clip board, about 1' tall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stltreedr

stltreedr LawnSite Member

Wow those are big root wads. Ive done some of these with a stump grinder, but i can say they weren't that big. You could rent a big grinder, but it would take awhile. Granted, it would be a lot less time than a sawzall. I also saw a log splitter today that fit on the end of a skidsteer, it was like a giant screw, there is a youtube video that shows it splitting stumps. Let me find it and ill post it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. stltreedr

4. alldayrj

I've never ground stumps before, always sold people that digging was best so there was no years of rotting and sinking. how would you even grind something that tall?

I would just cut the roots off until I could lift it, probably make it 6' by 6' so if would fit in my truck and slide out without blowing out the side. not trying to cut it into quarters or anything.

if I could rent the splitter local or sell enough of these to pay for it, its worth a shot.

5. stltreedr

With the grinder, you just start on the stump end and dig in. It will eventually fall down upon itself and back into the hole. If you can get a skidsteer to it, you can get a 100 hp bandit or vermeer grinder to it, they will go 2 or 3 feet high. Haul thr grindings and make more money replacing with topsoil and sod.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

i know its a wild estimate, but how long of actual GRINDING will it take to make this thing small enough to pick up?

7. stltreedr

Just a guess here. If you cut the trunk off as much as you could, i bet if you had a big grinder you could make short work of it in 1 or 1.5 hrs tops. If youve never run the machine before it might take half hour to learn it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. alldayrj

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of free time.
    Small thermonuclear device.
    Run like hell!

I don't foresee any small machines such as any of those being used by landscapers being able to pluck that thing out, you'll need one of those quarter million dollar dozers that gets brought in via 18-wheeler flatbed or what have you, as was said get a BIG stump grinder but you'll be there some hours...
    You might get it done in two but I'm thinking 3-4 at the least, maybe even 5 or 6, I'd plan a day.

You might try...
    Get up under the stump end with the skid steer and see if you can lift it back to
    some kind of upright, that would help greatly but with only 3k lift it might not budge.
    I'm thinking you'll need around 6-7000k lift just to set it upright...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  10. alldayrj

The only good thing about these is they are already snapped from the ground, just need to get it small enough to lift. Has anyone used a skid steer attachment grinder? My machine is low flow. How are they controlled and how do they stack up to a stand alone unit?
    Posted via Mobile Device