1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Big TEX trailer..do you guys haggle on the price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Feb 25, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

About to buy a Big TEX 14ft dual axle...here in central PA I have about only 2 choices...Car Mate and Big TEX...alot of you have said Car Mate is junk...so this 14ft is listed at $2000....looks stronger than Car Mate...detailed nicely also. I don't usually nickel and dime equipment dealers since I want fast and good service when I have an equip emergency...but...in reading a number of posts in the search I did it, seems $2000 is a bit pricey for this trailer...is this price too high? thanks much
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

does it have breaks? any extras? gvw? etc etc
  3. GarPA

from PA

sorry...details would help..brakes on one axle...6000 gvw...with a std sized rear ramp
  4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

fellow who shares warehouse space with us uses them. he really likes them, but has had some problems with gate latch staying secure.

other than that, i dont know much about them.
  5. GarPA

from PA

hmmm...the only thing that looked shaky to me was ...the gate latch...it looks like it could flop open and land on somone's Lexus hood...anyone else know about these trailers?
  6. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

First off, is this a new or used trailer? Secondly, is this rig a landscape or enclosed trailer. IMHO, $2000.00 for a 14' open is too much. Try Bri-Mar, they make a great trailer. Locally made in south central Pa.

Send me mail if you need more dealer information. I reside in State College, Pa. right in the center of our fine state....
  7. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

kitzy, look at my previous post. i just mentioned that about gate latch. :)
  8. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Last spring I bought a new Big Tex,
    Tandem axle
    Four breaks
    7,000 Lbs. GVW
    Landscaper package
    Four foot expanded metal sides all around,
    3 Trimmer racks built in
    Large Storage bin in front, built in
    $2,813. plus tax

I have not had any problems with the gate latch.
    I did have to have the gate reinforced b/c I guess the walker was to heavy and broke the welds on the expanded metal. But Big tex paid me for that.
    I like the trailer.
  9. Aaron Klemme

Aaron Klemme LawnSite Member

HEY. listen to this........I just bought a 20 foot tandem. 7 foot wide. 9000 lb, Channel frame, 1&1/2 foot sides out of 2by2 channel all enclosed with mesh steel. Its got a 5 ft gate with 10 cross members on it. All the lights down the side (I wanted it to look sharp) , Pin stripped, elect. brakes, huge dimond watertight box on front, bulldog hitch, heavy weight lift. Now boys......tell me if ya think this is a deal. By the way I ordered it so its new!

$2200.00 from a place called Davis trailors in St. Louis. Feel free to mail me if you want any details on where this company is located.
  10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

<font size="6"> $2000 FOR A 14' OPEN TRAILER!!</font>
    does that include a jar of vastaline???

a 6 and 1/2 foot by 14 foot tandem with 4' gate with 6 runners brakes on one axle and deicent tires and rims for $995 here, same price for a 16 footer.

here in Toledo I can get a 7 x 14' tandem haulmark enclosed for around $2600