Big Tex Trailer!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fishin LCO, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am looking at purchasing the 35LS Big Tex Trailer in 7X12 size. I was wondering if anyone has bought this trailer before. I would like to know what you thought? If not this exact one, what were your thought on Big Tex Trailers? Do the lockable boxes come in handy?

Also I will be towing this with a 98 Toyota Tacome 3.4L V6 4X4, do you think it can handle it?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Company5

Company5 LawnSite Member

With the weight of the trailer and the equipment you'll have onboard, I would say it'll probably overtax the Toyota. You should have trailer brakes at the least.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

make sure u get brakes on it
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Big-Tex 35 trailer for hauling my mowing equipment. Actually, I think it is closer to 6.5 ft, not 7 feet wide.

I would rate the trailer a moderate level in the class. I think International trailers are better. However, having said that, mine has done well.

- a little lighter weight (unloaded)
    - simple design for tailgate latch (no pins, no bars), but designs
    keep changing
    - ramp endgate light so that it can be lifted with one hand

- expanded metal ramp gate not secured well to frame (I've had
    to have mine welded)
    - uses B load range tires (others use C - 6 ply); I've upgraded
    mine because the B (4 ply) tires didn't last very long
    - round bar around the edge not as easy to bolt thing into (but
    angle iron braces are OK for bolting)
    - lights are open and vulnerable (new ones may be better)
    - light rack along frame on rear is not very durable
    - ramp endgate slides out on pins of the same length - need two
    people to lift into place (pins should be different length so that
    one side can be inserted first)

I work solo, and haul one 36" w/b Exmark mower, one Toro 21" hand mower, one LawnBoy 21" hand mower, as well as 8hp wheeled blower.

I bought mine second hand. Original owner paid about $1150, I bought for $700. It was used one time for hauling some mulch. The one-time use did result in him damaging one fender!

I have removed the wind jack on the tongue. I pull with an F250 pickup. With the jack in place as it comes from the factory, the handle interferes with the pickup endgate when it is in the down position. I have to use an other jack to lift the tongue when it is weighted in the front.

I hope this helps.
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

get a hold of Randy Domino on the big tex trailer direct website. He will get you hooked up with whatever you need. He custom built me a 7 x16 at the Mt Pleasant facility with a load of options...

6. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

I would agree with above, about the gate needing to be secured. It does have tendency to slide out and drop. Kills the lights underneath. Overall I have found Big Tex trailers to ride and drive well. When pulling there is little noise made.
    The trailers tend to be a little heavy so the Toyota is going to have a time with it. Get brake added if possible. Good luck.
  7. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

thanks for all the replies. any more? I live on the coast and am wondering if this trailer will hold up to the salt air? My last trailer had rust problems.
  8. Scott Wachtel

Scott Wachtel LawnSite Member

I am also on the market for a trailer. I would like to get an enclosed but I can't exactly afford one right now. I'm looking for something along the lines of "6"x"10" with a drop gate and maybe trimmer racks. If anyone knows of any good deals please let me know. Thanks.
  9. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5'x10' BigTex utility trailer. I tell you what, if you have the know how and capability I would buy a plain trailer and build yourself everything you need. You will save alot. I did. Built sides and shelfs out of wood (wood will hold up well here in the desert, no rain, very dry). Going to add trimmer racks and ladder holder for spring. Best of luck to ya in your buying venture.
  10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

pic of it-kind of blurry-sorry