Big time Commercial lowballing encounter today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dKoester, Jan 20, 2007.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I just got back from doing an estimate at 2 rental houses. The lady wanted the inside of the loby swept upstairs and downstairs also the grass maintained for a full calender year. 1/8th of an acre. She wanted me to visit the property twive per month even if it did not need cutting. I charged her 1040 dollars per unit. The price of both would be 2080 dollars. I divided that number by 12 and it came out to 173.33 per month for both units together. I called her up and told her the price and she then said that she was currently paying half of that price. Whoever it is isn't making anything hardly at all. Some people are just stupid.

2. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

And thats just half the problem

The other half is---some people will always be just stupid

and when stupid dies off or is run out of business----stupid will take his place!! People will never stop being stupid no matter how dumb it makes them look!!!

3. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Why would they ask you sweep the loby, sorry but if someone asked me to do that I would tell them to call a maid or a cleaning service.

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Ask who is currently doing it:laugh: . Did the place look ok or was she getting lowsy work for a low price.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Sweep the lobby?

HA HA.

I would have said "I'm not a maid, lady"...

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really know what big time lowballing is ....but I do know I lost a HOA entranance last year was getting $30k n when it came up fore it's 3 year re-new I was putting in a $5k increase when they accepted a yearly bid just under $15k

N that guy is cutting alot of grass with new equip ...no problem I'll wait year or 2 n when he falls ....I'll re-submit my bid again

7. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

Around this area we have a lot of "rookies" come in every year and cut the established commercial services in half.
    But guess what? I get alot of phone calls in the middle of the season to come in and clean up the mess they leave behind when the weather gets hot and the "rookies" are tired of being out in the heat.

Duals

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You arent a magician and you arent the current landscapers accountant so you dont know if he is stupid or if he is making money (chances are he isnt but dont jump to conclusions theres a 50/50 chance that he is making the same as you until you see his books)

its a rental maybe he visits once a month if she asked you to sweep she probably doesnt visit the rental ever and therefor doesnt matter how bad the property is

9. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

no sh!t ha ha,i would look stupid with an apron on

10. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

5500sq/ft per property at $40.00/cut is $80.00/month X 2 = $160.00/month
    I don't know how long the lobby takes to sweep, but I don't think his bid is to
    far off.