Big time company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Did any of you guys read the September Lawn & Landscape? I saw an article about two guys that had a landscaping business that were making $1,750,000 in 1999, the 2000 goal was $2,000,000. They said that they had %75 was landscape maintenance, %15 landscape installations, and %10 snow removal. Of course all that money was before they paid employees, taxes etc.. But still, they had probably at least 1 million just for themselves! I guess we could ALL be that successful if we had enough work to go around for everyone in town. I know even if I ted my town, I wouldn't make any more the $50,000 after taxes, etc.. We all have goals, go for 'em!

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, I'm sure they made AT LEAST $1,000,000! LOL

Please, guy.

I'm buddies with a half dozen guys who GROSS $2,000,000 and let me assure you, there isn't that kind of margins.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that way too. But after I paid more attention to the BUSINESS side of it, I now know where it all goes. Its kinda like the 3 stooges episode. Curly wins 50k as a prize, after taxes hes left with $1.50.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yep that Erin broderick woman was complaining that after she got the 2Mill bonus. The gov got 1.1mil of it

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Like I said, if you play your cards right you could be in that boat as well. You have all the advantages of being young, ie. no personal expenses. If you take advantage now you can build an empire. Think big. Build up enough assests like equipment and equity now and you will be living like a king, and don't squander your money. Build up your equipment with the money that you make mowing grass and use the other maney that make from that night job for leisure. once you have a reasonable amount of equpmetn and assests your expenses will be limited. And remember, don't under sell yourself.

6. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Just to give you an idea what it's really like.......
    The guy that owned the tree service i used to work for grossed 3,000,000 the last year i was there , about 12 employees, he made about 200,000 for himself. And that was pretty good, now guess where the rest of that dough went?

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll take a guess where it all went:
    Local Taxes
    Federal Taxes
    State Taxes
    Trailer license plates fee
    Gas for mowers/equipment
    Gas for truck
    New equipment
    Lesco
    Storage Unit
    Truck payment
    Liability insurance premiums
    Truck insurance premiums
    Office supplies
    Truck repairs
    Cell phone bill
    Health insurance
    Landscaping supplies
    Accountant fees
    Unemployment taxes

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now. And every one of the expenses I listed were more costly than I envisioned when I set out on this voyage called self employment. I have a college degree in business and still never understood accounting and finances until I began my business. By the way I would much rather bill $90,000 and take home $70,000 than bill $5 million and take home $50,000. Trust me it happens all the time.

8. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

You forgot the big one! Employee paychecks!!!Ouuuchh

9. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I think we all have the dream to be a 10 million dollar company. We all also realize the more we grow the more the profits diminish

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is tha page of that article could not find it in Lawn&Landscape Sept.