Big tree watering bid help needed.

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by JohnnyRoyale, May 28, 2008.

1. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

So the Canadians treat their contractors much better than municipalities do here state side. Three of the four contracts i submitted this year had to be a fixed price per year for three or four years, the fourth allowed a yearly increase by the consumer price index(it was state).

Didn't think about rotating the guys on the crew to keep hours down, that will lower costs by about $.30 a tree. Good luck sounds like a good contract for a nice municipality.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

It wont keep the hours down, but keep the overtime down. Thanks for your input. I'm just working out the final numbers. Just found out the city here has a fair wage policy you must abide to to keep (unionized and open shops) wages fair. For an open shop, these will be my highest paid employees, Driver:$ 31.45, and Labourer:$28.45. This changes everything.

3. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

Ah, the state contract I talked about earlier had the same thing. It called for entry level mower operators to be paid $14.50! It drives costs through the roof. What are you using for a truck to tote around 5 ton of water?

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I have a S/A GMC Topkick 8500 with an aluminum dump body. It has removable sides and gate, so I'll pop them off and put the tank on.

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Actually, all of our trees are in a line on the perimeter of a shopping center. There are 170 that are planted about 15-20' trunk to trunk. We have spliced our hose to water 4 trees at a time so 1 man can do it. How close are all of the trees?