big trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jeffhendrix, Feb 3, 2006.

1. jeffhendrix

jeffhendrix LawnSite Member

What would you charge to install a 4" cal. live oak

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

pick it up from nursery an deliver , plant,an stake $300-$350 depending on where its planted an how far the drive to where its planted . if no delivery just plant an stake $200 -$250. thanks george

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You have got to be kidding?For one thing planting a CA live Oak that big in caliper is tricky..they have an extreemly long tap root and it cannot be broken or damaged.They are difficult to transplant and the best way to grow them is from seed.
    If your charging 100 t0 150 for delivery your nuts.
    then another what 250 for the tree and the planting..
    too much in my book.

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

thats cheap my parents in georgia had a jap. maple planted that was a 3.5 -4 inch an they charged them $350 . thats about average in my book

5. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is that just for labor or does that include the price of the tree? If it's just labor I need to start planting trees.:)

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

he means both tree and labor.

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah about $300-350 for installation only. Thats a big tree! That doesn't include the price of the tree.

8. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

I'd just add a hundred bucks to whatever the guy with the tree spade charged me for standing there watching him do it.

Mike
    La. Landscape Contractor #2576

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge $200-225 for labor plus the tree (adding mark up), delivery and fuel. This price is if I can get the trailer next to the hole.

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

A Live oak is one of the heaviest woods per square inch... 4" cal will have a nice root ball. Need a helper, tree dolly and some muscles. I would be at the 250.00 to 300.00 bills mark depending on how far I had to drive to get a quality tree and the distance to the job site. I include staking, mulching and watering in my tree planting prices.

Very nice tree.....There is a Live Oak in B-ham that has about 5 trunks and has a 70' spread. Its and oldy. Great tree for a bird lover.